Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High SG, Wait, Rouse, Re-Pitch or Rack?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
vickeryj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Default High SG, Wait, Rouse, Re-Pitch or Rack?

Hi everyone. I started my first batch last week and everything went pretty smoothly. The batch went into the primary Sunday (the 3rd) and the airlock was going strong by Monday morning. By Wednesday all the airlock activity stopped so I figured I would take a gravity reading. Correcting for temperature, I got a reading of 1.021 (down from an OG of 1.052). Since then I've taken gravity readings daily and they have remained at 1.021. On Friday (the 8th) I gave the bucket a swirl thinking the yeast might need to be "roused." No change on the gravity yesterday (the 9th), so I gave it another swirl, and still no change today (the 10th).

The kit lists the Beginning Gravity at 1.049 - 1.051 and the Final Gravity at 1.012 - 1.014.

So, my question is what should I do now? Should I wait a while? Should I give it another swirl? Should I pitch more yeast? Should I go ahead and rack to the secondary?

My two concerns at this point are that they yeast is worn out and won't carbonate after I bottle, and that fermentation hasn't really finished and I'll make bottle grenades. My dad was a homebrewer when I was growing up and I still remember bottles blowing up in the back of the station wagon on a road trip, so I'm a little bit paranoid about that.

The beer is from a True Brew Nut Brown Ale kit consisting of 1 can Hopped Light Malt Extract, 1 lb Light Dried Malt Extract, 1 lb Amber Dried Malt Extract, 1 lb Dark Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Dark Crystal and Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1 oz of Fuggles hop pellets and 1 packet of Muntons dry yeast.

I re-hydrated and proofed the yeast (with 1 tsp sugar) prior to pitching, and it foamed a bit, but didn't go crazy.

The bucket has been in a room that has varied from 64° to 68° F, and the stick-on thermometer on the bucket has ranged from 72° to 66°.

__________________
vickeryj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chriso's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Someplace, Nebraska
Posts: 4,714
Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default

The simplest thing to try is to gently rouse the yeast, as you mentioned, and then move it to a slightly warmer room, shoot for 69-70f. Let it warm up for 24-36 hours and "do its thing" - this may allow the yeast to reawaken, and munch a few more sugars.

If it still doesn't kick in after another 36 hrs in a warmer location, repitching may indeed be necessary. Munton's isn't exactly Superman in terms of yeast quality - if you have to go to the LHBS anyways to get more yeast, I would look for Fermentis Safale S-04, or Danstar Nottingham. I'd also buy 1 extra packet to tuck safely in the fridge for any future stuck batches, it never hurts (I have 11 packs of different kinds of dry yeast in my fridge right now!) Everything in your process that I can see looks very good, I'm confident you did this "right" - the yeasties may just not be cooperating.

And by the way, thanks for writing a very clear post. It made it much easier to answer your question, and I appreciate your effort!

__________________
BROKEN ROBOT BREWING CO.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
Chriso is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Adams, MA
Posts: 20,491
Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

+1 on chriso's advice. Get yourself some S-04, that's a good yeast for this style and it's very high quality. FWIW, you don't need to proof the yeast, FWIW; in general, you don't want to introduce your yeast to simple sugars before they are introduced to maltose (more complex) - but I don't think that's why your fermentation got stuck.

Temperature's the big reason why fermentations get stuck, but it sounds like you're in the right range. A little warmer would be better, though.

Welcome to the forums!

__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
the_bird is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
vickeryj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks for the advice chriso and the_bird. I gave the bucket another swirl and brought the temperature up to 70°. I then went out and bought two packets of Safale s-04 just in case I don't see a drop in the gravity by tomorrow night.

If I do need to re-pitch do you have any suggestions on doing so? The Safale packet just says to sprinkle it into the wort.

Thanks again!

Josh

__________________
vickeryj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
9/9
Collembola!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
9/9's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 419
Default

vickeryj: I don't know how much you will check back here, but I sent you a PM.

__________________
9/9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hermon, Maine
Posts: 1,084
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Take 2 cups of water and boil it for ten minutes then cover it and put in the fridge or in a water bath to cool it down below 80F. Once you've reached this temp, take your yeast packets and add them to this water and let it sit on the counter, covered, for ten minutes to rehydrate. After ten minutes, without removing the lid, give the pot a gentle swirl and you're ready to add it to your beer.

__________________
eddie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chriso's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Someplace, Nebraska
Posts: 4,714
Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default

To be fair, Safale does indeed say sprinkle directly. I rehydrate Nottingham(?) which says to do so on the label, but the Safale's I direct pitch, since I figure manufacturer knows best!

__________________
BROKEN ROBOT BREWING CO.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
Chriso is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
vickeryj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Default

After no change in SG I re-pitched on Monday the 11th. I took another reading today (Wednesday the 13th) and it's still at 1.021. I'm thinking at this point either I didn't aerate enough and there is no more oxygen left for the yeast, or something else is wrong.

On the other hand I drank the sample I extracted today and it was pretty good. Lightly carbonated, good bitterness and not unbearably sweet. My plan is to let it sit till the weekend, and then, assuming the gravity hasn't changed, rack to secondary. I figure I'll take a gravity reading two weeks after that, and if there is still no change, bottle it up. Do you think I'm risking bottle bombs? I figure I can put the bottles in rubbermaid containers and after a few weeks I can check the gravity (assuming non have exploded) and if it is still at 1.021, call it good enough.

Josh

__________________
vickeryj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I rack again or wait or bottle? mattip Cider Forum 2 10-22-2009 11:39 AM
Should I rack to bottles or wait? Dark_Knight7096 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-01-2009 07:04 PM
Can I wait to rack it? chemist308 General Techniques 11 02-26-2008 01:01 PM
Rack it or wait? missing link General Techniques 16 01-13-2008 05:32 AM
Re-pitch or just wait Biermann General Beer Discussion 12 09-25-2006 03:26 AM