Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > high mash temp? oh nO!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
misteradam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default high mash temp? oh nO!!

will having a mash temperature of 170-180 at the start affect the beer? im cooling it down with ice cubes back below 160 right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
ChefMichael01
Recipes 

Was that the temp of the water before adding your grain? If so, you should be fine as the grain will lower the temp significantly (based on how many gallons of water/lbs of grain).

If this was the temp post-grain addition, then that is at the high range and you may extract some tannins from your grain bill.

Primary 4 - (empty)
Bottle Conditioning - Apfelwein; AHS Shiner Bock Clone
Consuming - Keep Austin UnCommon (steam beer); Spiced Pumpkin Ale; Spiced Christmas Ale; BM's SWMBO Slayer; Irish Red Ale; St Patty's Dry Stout; Ancho Chili Porter
Up to Bat - Caramel Cream Ale; BBS Harold is Weisen; IPA; Summer Citrus Weisen; [Munich/??] SMaSH
Discarded (sad, I know) AHS Lemongrass Wheat Ale

Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
misteradam
Recipes 

what will that do? it is now 30 mins in and i have managed to get it to 158, now i will attempt to maintain

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If your mash temp was above 170, you'll get minimal efficiency because the enzymes get denatured at those temperatures fairly quickly. Also, if you didn't buffer your mash pH, you may have extracted tannins at those temperatures.

I forgot to pre-heat my mashtun when I brewed yesterday and overcompensated the strike water temperature, so I was quite high (in the mid-160s) to begin with. Although I managed to get down to my target of 152 within 10 minutes and extended the mash by 15 minutes, I still ended up missing my target gravity slightly. I also forgot to add 5.2 at the beginning of the mash, but thankfully I remembered and added it after a few minutes.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
misteradam
Recipes 

it ended up being in the low 60's for an hour. should i add some corn sugar to compensate?

its for a sweet stout. i planned on adding a 1lb of honey in there in addition to 1lb of lactose in the boil at 30 mins.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
misteradam
Recipes 

1.052 or 1.058 i think

Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

If you are going for a sweet stout, dont add hoeny or sugar. That will just dry it out.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
misteradam
Recipes 

thats estimated. i haven't taken a reading yet. i tasted it when i put it in for the 170 sparge, and it didnt taste very sweet. had a more bitter twangy taste. the last batch i made tasted much more sugary at this point, and came out pretty good.

how much corn sugar and honey should I add to get this in the range I want? I haven't taken a hydrometer of it yet, but i will in a little bit.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
misteradam
Recipes 

my hydrometer broke while i was taking a reading. maybe it's a bad omen

Quick Reply