Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High Gravity Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default High Gravity Yeast

I'm brewing a 1.075 ish IIPA tomorrow, and was wondering about the yeast. I've got WL001 which was recomended to me to be able to get the job done, but should I pitch two vials? I was told that this would help the little yeasties out getting a foothold, but do I really need it if I've got a decent starter? LHBS said no starter needed, just follow directions on vial, but pitch two of 'em. Over the past few visits, I have started to question his judgement.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Anything over 1.070 it's a good idea to make a starter. (Never hurts to make one for any beer) Two vials will get you going quicker than one but it's also twice as much money for yeast. Remember to also aerate well.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It's a real good idea to use a starter at that gravity and it's a lot cheaper than pitching two vials.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
gauthierk
Recipes 

If you look at it this way, when you make a starter your trying to triple the yeast count at pitch time and getting them active and ready to rumble.. Another think I didn't notice in the threast was the use of yeast nutrient... Anytime I do a high gravity beer or a mead, I put yeast nutrient into the starter and maby some in the wort to give them some go juice and it helps bring them over the %abv hump a little... Becides, it's cute to see a beaker on the fridge doing a mini beer right before the big day... CHEERS!!!!

Quick Reply