Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High Gravity Hoppy Beer Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
mizzourah2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default High Gravity Hoppy Beer Question

I did the Pliny the Elder clone yesterday afternoon and the wort was extremely murky when I was pouring it into the fermenter.

It was a partial mash with 9 lbs of grains and 3.5 lbs of DME. It also included 8 ounces of hops. We did strain the beer as it went into the fermenter and caught a ton of hop resin.

My question is, is it normal for a high gravity very hoppy beer to be murky before the yeast get a hold of it?

Other potentially important info:

it was a 75ish minute boil (probably a few minutes longer) and we added 2 lbs of the DME with 30 minutes left in the boil and the last 1.5 lbs with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Starting gravity was right around 1.082. It was 1.093 with 4.3 gallons and I topped it off to 5 gallons.

cooled it down to pitching temps within 30 minutes.

Airlock is already bubbling like crazy after 9 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

it sounds normal to me. You may want to replace that airlock with a blow-off hose :-)

Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah, I agree sounds normal.. high gravity hoppy beers are going to have a lot of sugars and hop material in the wort that will get consumed and settle out.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My imperial black rye ipa was very murky, looked like mud when I poured it into the carboy, its cleared up a lot after 1 week

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
DangerRoss
Ameteur Mash Paddler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 105

From my experience that is normal. Next time you can add fining agents during your boil like irish moss or whirlfloc tablets to help clarify your end product.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
mizzourah2006
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks this is only my 2nd partial mash and the 1st was a low gravity heffe, so I wasn't completely sure.

I am definitely thinking of changing to a blow off tube. The wife is home today because of President's day and I told her to keep an eye on it. I will most likely switch to a blow off tube this evening when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerRoss View Post
From my experience that is normal. Next time you can add fining agents during your boil like irish moss or whirlfloc tablets to help clarify your end product.
I have irish moss, but I completely forgot to add it in. I added the 1.5 lbs of DME and the irish moss just completely slipped my mind.

Quick Reply