Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > high gravity beer not carbonating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
parrotpoet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I found a recipe online. The yeast was Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. My intended OG was 1.080 and I ended up at 1.090 and I attenuated down to about 1.020.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
parrotpoet
Recipes 

it's also possible that I just undershot my priming sugar amount. I followed a couple different online priming sugar calculators - which I remember thinking seemed a bit low - but nonetheless I definitely put enough new sugar into them to merit SOME carbonation!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
drewmedic23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hmm, your %alcohol should be under 10% so I dont think that is the problem....that yeast is good for at least 12%. I dont know what the problem could be. What is the temp you are letting your bottles sit at? Where are they (inside, outside, on top of a cabinet?) Are you sure you have a good seal with the caps?

Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
parrotpoet
Recipes 

they've been at 70 degrees for months. caps are good. the only thing I can think of is I somehow didn't put in the priming sugar. but I'm 98 percent positive I did. oh well. maybe they'll carbonate at some point and be amazing!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
drewmedic23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotpoet View Post
they've been at 70 degrees for months. caps are good. the only thing I can think of is I somehow didn't put in the priming sugar. but I'm 98 percent positive I did. oh well. maybe they'll carbonate at some point and be amazing!
Yea thats the only other thing I can think of too. You could always grab a keg and force carb

Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
shattstar03
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I'm having the same issues as well, I have a high ABV beer (around 10%) and its been about 4 weeks with absolutely no carbonation. I used WLP565 yeast to ferment the batch but there is zero carbonation, no hiss when I opened the bottle or anything.

Its been hot at my place, so the beers have been sitting in 75-80% degrees temps for a few weeks now.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
parrotpoet
Recipes 

I just cracked another one of my tripels, a nice pop and hiss but still pretty flat when I poured it out. tastes VERY alcoholic. It's been 9 months. ABV should've been about 10 percent although by the taste of it it might be more. I decided to add a tiny bit of extra priming sugar to one of the bottles and reseal. I'll give it a couple weeks and we'll see if that makes a difference. otherwise I guess the yeast just got beat up. I'm onto a nice 1.065 APA. might just leave the big Belgians to the masters....

Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
shattstar03
Recipes 

Quote:
I just cracked another one of my tripels, a nice pop and hiss but still pretty flat when I poured it out. tastes VERY alcoholic. It's been 9 months. ABV should've been about 10 percent although by the taste of it it might be more. I decided to add a tiny bit of extra priming sugar to one of the bottles and reseal. I'll give it a couple weeks and we'll see if that makes a difference. otherwise I guess the yeast just got beat up. I'm onto a nice 1.065 APA. might just leave the big Belgians to the masters....
What was your fermentation temp for your beer?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
parrotpoet
Recipes 

I kept it between 68-70. fermentation was pretty vigorous first couple days. took about two weeks to eventually attenuate down to about 1.020. I kept the bottles at 68-70 degrees since last Jan. it's a mystery. I even added a bit of US 05 to a couple bottle a few months ago and recapped. no difference. I can only think that maybe, somehow I just ended up with WAY more alcohol then expected.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
shattstar03
Recipes 

Quote:
I kept it between 68-70. fermentation was pretty vigorous first couple days. took about two weeks to eventually attenuate down to about 1.020. I kept the bottles at 68-70 degrees since last Jan. it's a mystery. I even added a bit of US 05 to a couple bottle a few months ago and recapped. no difference. I can only think that maybe, somehow I just ended up with WAY more alcohol then expected.
That's super interesting.. the only thing I can think of is that your primary fermentation temp was 5 degrees higher during primary fermentation.

What kind of yeast are you using? Maybe your yeast has a low alcohol tolerance.

Quick Reply