Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High Gravity Beer= Headache

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
purphumpbackedwhale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default High Gravity Beer= Headache

I brewed a winter warmer mid october see recipe below. The beer is still relatively young for a higher gravity beer but before I bottled this past Sunday the 25th of November the beer was overly sweet and almost instantly gave me a headache. I don't know if anyone can relate to this taste? I used a 2 liter yeast starter of wyeast london ale and fermented at 65-67 F.

19.5# Pale ale
.75# Carmel 80
.25# Black Malt
1 oz Horizon @ 90

½ Tsp. Cinnamon @ 5
1/8 Tsp. Ginger @ 5
1/8 Tsp. Nutmeg @ 5
1/8 Tsp. Allspice @ 5

wyeast 1028

OG: 1.090
FG: 1.021

Can anyone give me any suggestions of something I may have done wrong to achieve this taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Euripidez
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How long was it in primary for? What was the fermentation temperature for the first few days (well, all of it)?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

A lot of grain and spice without corresponding hop balance, maybe?

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
purphumpbackedwhale
Recipes 

In the OP it says I fermented at 65-67 F. This is Jamil's Winter Warmer recipe, I followed it to a T.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Instant headaches are fusels in my experience. You most likely underpitched and stressed the yeast. If you used a stir plate for your starter you needed 3 liters. If you didn't use a stir plate and made just a simple "sit there" starter then you needed 8 liters.

Also, if you're not controlling your fermentation temps you could have gotten into the high 70's with room temps in the high 60's.

If it smells like solvent and burns your throat and sinuses and gives you an instant headache it is fusels and you are pretty much screwed. Depending how bad they are they may age out so that you can drink it, but I'm guessing that since it's giving you a headache instantly you're not going to want to be drinking too much of it.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
purphumpbackedwhale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
Instant headaches are fusels in my experience. You most likely underpitched and stressed the yeast. If you used a stir plate for your starter you needed 3 liters. If you didn't use a stir plate and made just a simple "sit there" starter then you needed 8 liters.

Also, if you're not controlling your fermentation temps you could have gotten into the high 70's with room temps in the high 60's.

If it smells like solvent and burns your throat and sinuses and gives you an instant headache it is fusels and you are pretty much screwed. Depending how bad they are they may age out so that you can drink it, but I'm guessing that since it's giving you a headache instantly you're not going to want to be drinking too much of it.
FWIW I used two smack packs for the starter and shaked about once an hour for 36 hours. But I think you're onto something as far as fusels. It doesn't burn my throat and sinuses but it definitely gives me a headache almost instantly.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
purphumpbackedwhale
Recipes 

up?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
SpookyAlmond
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've found certain beers give me a headache. But I've narrowed it down, I think it's the 12th.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by purphumpbackedwhale View Post
FWIW I used two smack packs for the starter and shaked about once an hour for 36 hours. But I think you're onto something as far as fusels. It doesn't burn my throat and sinuses but it definitely gives me a headache almost instantly.
Did you control ferm temps or just stick it in a high 60s room? My first 2 all grain batches got fusels from fermenting in a 70 degree room and slightly under pitching.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
purphumpbackedwhale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
Did you control ferm temps or just stick it in a high 60s room? My first 2 all grain batches got fusels from fermenting in a 70 degree room and slightly under pitching.
Yes just ambient room temp which was 65-67 so you are probably right. What did you do with those two batches? were they drinkable?

Quick Reply