The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High gravity after transfer to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
amsmith592
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High gravity after transfer to secondary

Hello.....

I have a recipe kit from midwest...its the sierra nevada pale ale clone with dry yeast to give you guys some info. I have let it ferment for 7 days in primary with a og in the neighborhood @ 1.05. The last three days of fermentation were inactive(visably) and my gravity readings were consistatly 1.02. (after cracking the primary lid there was no krausen left, only small foam present) I decided to go to a secondary 5 gallon carboy. After 2 hours in the carboy for piece of mind I took a gravity reading and it was 1.12. in a 70 degree F area. Wow it went up could this be from the agitation that occurred during transfer??Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'd question your readings here. 1.050 sounds about right for an OG. 1.020 is a little high for an SG, you may have had a stuck ferment. But there is no way it went up from 1.020 to 1.120 (perhaps you mean 1.012?). It's just a guess but I'd say your hydrometer might be getting stuck along the side of the test tube.

Also, there is also no reason to have checked the gravity after 2 hours in the carboy. Once you rack to secondary most fermentation is going to stop. You may rouse the yeast a bit and drop a couple more points, but that'll be it. In general you should wait until fermentation is complete before racking to a clearing tank. If you do have a stuck ferment, the best thing to do is rouse the yeast in the primary and given them more time to work rather than racking early.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It was probably 1.012 before you racked it. Leave it for 2 weeks then bottle.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I go along with TeleTwanger. I made a Sierra Nevada Pale clone not that long ago and had an OG about what you reported and racked after about 2 weeks, let sit 2 more, then packaged. No explosions after 6 weeks. I'd go with you fat-fingered the gravity.

Quick Reply