Hello all Iam seeking some good advice. Iam coming towards the end of my second batch of beer a lemon coriander kit from mid west brewery. The problem Iam having is this. I have had this batch in a glass carboy for a little over three weeks. Today I got everything ready for bottling and right before I started to go at it I did my final gravity test. The final gravity came back at around 1.018-1.019 the directions say it should be at 1.010-1.012. Obvisouly this is a problem I really don't know what I should do should I go ahead and bottle anyway since it has been over three weeks? Or wait another week? Note: it has been a heat wave here for a few weeks on and off it's been over 95 some days I store the batch in my garage where it is 75 on the side of the carboy any help will be mic appreciated Iam also going to try and attach a photo of my hydrometer reading.
I might consider rousing the yeast back into suspension then waiting another week... without seeing the recipe or the mods you have done i would say it's not done. If your temp has maintained 75 its def possible that it's finished high. What kind of yeast did you use?
I checked the wyeast site and the yeast stays in suspension for a while apparently... It's a high grav beer though not very high, i would def try stirring the yeast up with a sanitized racking cane then wait another week and take another reading. Did you check your starting gravity? Also have you tried checking you hydrometer in either plain tap water or ro or distilled water to make sure it is correctly calibrated?
yes it was an extract batch it came with two malt extract containers which is where I got aa little confused it didnt specify to put both in or one so I put both in lol will that affect my gravity reading?
I am gonna go down stairs and test my hydrometer ill get right back to you.
Definitely verify the calibration of your hydrometer. It should read 1.000 in distilled water at 60 degrees. As an extract batch it is quite possible it's finished. There is a thread called "The dreaded 1.020" by Yooper that discusses how some extract kits just get to 1.020 and stop for no known reasons. If the gravity remains unchanged in a couple days IMO you can bottle it
__________________ Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....
The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010