Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High Altitude Changes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
IowaStateFan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay here is the formula that I use to adjust the hops utilization for altitude. I found it here: http://www.realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html

Divide the utilization by ((altitude in feet/550)*.02)+1) so at 5000' you would divide your utilization by 1.18 which is a reduces your utilization by approx 15%.

For me at 9100' I get 25% less utilization.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #12
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Here's a question that has always bugged me.
Can you get water temperature to go above the point at which it boils? My opinion is that you can not unless you use a pressure cooker or something. I believe that what happens is that the more heat you add the faster the water boils off without going above the set boil temp. If you added 10000 degree heat to water it would just flash off as steam.

So what is the truth?

EDIT: The above paragraph was composed with opinion and conjecture. No facts or research were wasted in it's construction.
Take it from a former meteorologist, the temperature at which water boils is dependent on the outside air pressure, but not on the amount of heat applied. More heat will only increase the rates of boil and evaporation, but not the temperature. If you want to increase the boil temp you need to increase the air pressure, which is exactly what a pressure cooker does. So, yes, your conjecture is correct.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
mountainrev
Recipes 

First off, hi Jason, from another high altitude Lutheran (WELS) pastor/brewer . I'm at about 7,000'. I have not made any adjustments for high altitude. And I appreciate your sig line.

I'm curious about IowaStateFan's assertion about hops utilization at high altitude. I'm absolutely no expert, so I have no basis to contest it. However, I asked a similar question a while back on a different homebrew board, and the answer given, which seems plausible to me, was that hops utilization is effected by the agitation of the boiling water, not the temperature. If that's true, then altitude and temp should not impact hops utilization at all.

Any thoughts on that?

"Give beer to those who are perishing." -- Proverbs 31:6

• In Primary:
  • In Secondary: Bavarian Dunkel Lager
  • In Secondary: Pyramid ESB Clone
  • In Bottles: Cherry Stout

Quick Reply