High ABV recipe for Jungle Juice mix? Frat problems!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NikolaiKozlov

Reaction score
Hello Homebrewtalk! This will be my first post, so I'll share a little about myself in this post. I'm 23, a sophomore in college(saved money up for 3 years post-HS), and in a frat. Feel free to joke me about it. I'm majoring in Food Science and Technology. I hope to start a microbrewery/restaurant one day. Short and simple, I'm the mad brew scientist for my fraternity brothers.

I run a quick brew factory in the house basement. We throw a few big parties every month, so I make gallons of brew. I have four 5 gallon plastic carboys, 2 8 gallon ferment buckets, airlocks, a few 2L starter flasks, stove top, fridge, bottle of campden pills and ~3lbs generic biotin yeast nutrients. Quite the setup. I save the brothers and myself $100s. I love doing it and people love me for it.

Also, I don't age anything over a couple weeks. The longest one of my brews has lasted from first bubble to last solo cup is probably 3 months unless I brew it over the summer. I do a lot of ciders, because of the easy 8-10+% abv I can get with a month ferment that doesn't taste like crap and girls will actually drink it. I backsweeten with fruit concentrates all the time. Many of you probably already hate me for disrespecting the art.....

Sorry, but the motives behind my posts here are going to be about making party drink to get girls, make money, and make the frat look good.

NOW TO GET TO MY PROBLEM....

I've been doing some experimenting, but it'd save me a lot of time and effort to ask here with the wealth of knowledge you masters have. I need a fast, relatively easy, high ABV (15+%) recipe for anything. cider, mead, beer, don't care because it's going to end up mixed with some fruit or soda concentrate in it. That's right it's the JUNGLE JUICE! The 10 gallon cooler with the spigot at the bottom is the party centerpiece. We keep it flowing!

I've been able to reach as high as 16.5% in 5 weeks with champagne yeast in cider, but it wasn't the greatest taste even aging it a WHOLE month.

The primary objective...

is a 15+% ABV brew that can be ready to consume in under 2 months max (after being backsweetened).
The fruitier/sweeter the better so it'll mix well and the females will drink it. It can't taste like pure jet fuel.

I really want the jungle juice to be 10+% ABV after being mixed.

GIVE ME THAT RECIPE GENTLEMEN!!

There's only one recipe that comes to mind.

What you wanna do is got a whole bunch of fresh fruit, some 7 up and a couple of half gallons of cheap vodka.

Cut the fruit up into chunks, dump it and the 7 up and vodka into the cooler.

Shake the cooler and serve.

You aren't going to find people on here with a recipe for high alcohol quick brew that taste drinkable.

Aside from that, I'm jealous.
I do miss those days, sort of.

Not the right forum? I make plenty of legitimate brews and recipes and will post about them when I feel they've been perfected.

Right now, I just need a quick and easy recipe for getting alcohol into lots of people without poisoning them and getting complaints about the taste.

I've seen hooch threads like this on here before. I'm on homebrewtalk a lot, just never made an account yet. If by "evaporate" you mean distill, I'm not into that.

Cheap Vodka!!!! $30 after taxes for 1.75L of bottom shelf in my state. That'd total up to over $300 for the whole party. With homebrew, it'd cost less than $50 and we don't run out. Also, my brews tends to cause less of a hangover than cheap vodka..... disgusting. our guests don't appreciate that at all.

Get em drunk and lower their standards... classy Airborne is right. Wrong place

Get em drunk and lower their standards... classy Airborne is right. Wrong place

Wrong idea man. I didn't say anything about getting girls drunk so i could sleep with them. I said I wanted them to be able to drink it without hating the taste. That's gentlemanly in my eyes....

when I say "get girls" I mean get girls to want to come to our parties. If a girl goes to our party and thinks our drinks are the best, she'll want to come back and bring her friends. Our homebrews, which we often say are from classy faraway microbreweries, have given us a great reputation. And we save money to spend on real events like formals and date parties. like gentlemen.

Girls control how much they drink and they know how strong our jungle juice is. If they're too far gone, we don't mess with it and make a DD pledge help her friends take her home. like gentlemen.

"Treat 'em right when drunk, makes them want you more when they're sober." - a basic pledge education principle

This preconceived idea about college life based off American Pie is nowhere near the reality.

My apologies, Frat boys are not known for their tact in getting the end result out of women. With this being said have you looked into wine making? If you are just mixing it with others anyways it can make for a very nice drink. http://skeeterpee.com/?page_id=17 is a lemon wine that is around 10% and ferments to a clean sweet alcohol(relatively fast). Its not 15% but goes down very easy and you could always try to add more sugar to see what you can boost it to before it hits jet fuel flavor.

That sounds pretty good. My experience with wine is that if you don't age it for 6 months minimum it tastes disgusting. This recipe specifically explains it tastes great from day 1. I may try it and play around with the yeasts to get a higher ABV. There are some amazing new yeasts coming out everyday.

I'm just not the wine type honestly. Maybe I'm just not mature enough to appreciate it yet haha

I hate to admit this, but I've been experimenting with sugar washes and distillers yeasts.... They get a bad rep because fast fermentation usually puts out quite a bit of methanol and other nasty by products. This is not actually the case anymore with some of the newer high quality distillers yeasts.

I'm currently (like this very minute as I'm writing) playing around with an Alcotek VodkaStar sugar wash.

After one week of violent fermentation in primary, I added more sugars and nutrients. It picked up for about 2 days more. By day 14, it was still bubbling every so often but not violently, so I racked it, threw in a campden pill, and crash chilled in the fridge. waited 3 days for it to clear, racked it, ran it through some coffee filters, pastuerized it, and put it in a 3 gallon container. just did that last part an hour ago.

I wanted to make sure to keep out the yeast flavor and as many hangover-causing byproducts as possible. It's supposedly a very clean distillers yeast. sounds oximoronic to me.

The best part though! I'm getting ~16.5% abv and it taste like simple sugar water with only a small burning sensation. Nothing like jet fuel. I'll get a few friends as test subjects to get a decent buzz on and see how they feel the next day.

I could definitely mix something with this though.

OG: 1.139
FG: 1.013

I wanna know where you live that a 1.75L of "bottom shelf" vodka costs $30. I live in D.C. and you can get Absolute or Smirnoff for cheaper than that. Bottom shelf (i.e. the plastic bottles i drank in college) are $9.99 for a 1.75L.

I wanna know where you live that a 1.75L of "bottom shelf" vodka costs $30. I live in D.C. and you can get Absolute or Smirnoff for cheaper than that. Bottom shelf (i.e. the plastic bottles i drank in college) are $9.99 for a 1.75L.

Probably Canada. We pay a lot of tax on our liquor.

Not comfortable saying where I am. I'll say that our schools in the South, very large, and far away from anything close to a "city." The local government and university officials know this and they got the state to jack up prices in all the liquor stores within a 30 minutes drive of here. It's about $8~$12 jacked up on everything from my comparison with prices back home on the other side of the state. They're trying to cut the flow of fun and I think some of the money goes to the university.

Idk something stupid that makes us mad! :mad:

This reminds me, I'm glad I had sons and not daughters. :eek:

In my day, sorority girls were plied with Boone's Farm. :ban:

Rick

I think the best bet will be skeeter pee. Look it up. Pretty simple to get above 10% and it tastes great. Back sweeten and carbonate or just mix it with sprite to sweeten and fizz it up. I would make that and just try adding more sugar to get the content you want, though you may have to adjust other parts of the recipe to get rid of any off flavors. Like maybe some more lemon juice. You can also make it with lime juice or add other juices to the finished product to get different results. Others have added kool aid to flavor and color it with good results. The base recipe is very versatile and tastes great just as it is.

Would be neat to go to a party and have lemon, lemon lime, cherry, and other flavors all to choose from. Great thing is it costs about $15 to make 5 gallons and would be cheaper if you bought 50lb sacks of sugar.

When I made mine, it took about 6 weeks from start to finish to be clear. Also, you can double pitch lavin 1118 yeast if you don't have a yeast slurry to pitch into it.

Anything that high in ABV will need more time than you want to wait. It will taste like rocket fuel without aging.

Look up fractional freezing and go join a distilling forum.

tumblr_m8r64kmIhS1r9co2lo1_400.jpg

Gary

I'm not trying to make moonshine. Especially since I want to serve it to party guests. I've seen that game played, it doesn't work out.

Also, you guys are either being ignorant or putting off some serious jealousy here.

I've never done anything you're insinuating. We take care of our party guests, we want them to have good drinks and a good time. Girls like us for that. You think they'd come back to our house if their friend (or any girl) got assaulted by one of the brothers. NO.

I want to get into brewing. Is this not the place for that?

Would be neat to go to a party and have lemon, lemon lime, cherry, and other flavors all to choose from. Great thing is it costs about $15 to make 5 gallons and would be cheaper if you bought 50lb sacks of sugar.

Why have them seperate when all those things go together. Ever had Cherry Limeade??? It's bottled by pepsi I think. (Light Bulb: I could probably get that in a concentrate syrup too... interesting.)

equal parts that and vodka, and a good dash of sprite is great and I've made it a few times. That skeeter pee would probably mix great with some Cherry Limeade concentrate and sprite. I really would like the finished mixed drink at close to 10% ABV though. splurge on a bottle limoncello and add it to the whole mix maybe. That'd bring it back up with zero sacrifice to taste.

I'm not trying to make moonshine. Especially since I want to serve it to party guests. I've seen that game played, it doesn't work out.

Also, you guys are either being ignorant or putting off some serious jealousy here.

I've never done anything you're insinuating. We take care of our party guests, we want them to have good drinks and a good time. Girls like us for that. You think they'd come back to our house if their friend (or any girl) got assaulted by one of the brothers. NO.

I want to get into brewing. Is this not the place for that?

I understand that you are getting a lot of heat for this thread. Its a shame, I try not to turn off any new brewers. But you have to understand that your post and question is rather...questionable.

Why can't you brew low abv beer for people? if your mixing it with juice or soda, how cares...make a shandy or something. Make a wheat beer with any fruit then add sprite. The fact that your trying to make a 15% or more brew for parties is a little much. There is simply no need. Just brew 10 gallons of week of whatever and mix in some juice, you'll get more than 100 beers.

Brewing over 10% for parties is just irresponsible. I understand that college is about being drunk...but you don't need to blackout or pass out, certainly not in the first hour. Just remember, unlike buying kegs and having the frat take responsibility, when you brew it, you will be personally responsible for what happens to these people if something goes wrong.

Finally, people have posted the closest recipes they can find...and you will probably be better off finding a distilling forum.

I'm not usually one to get involved in the "selling homebrew" argument but i would have to say that you are at a greater risk of getting caught doing it than anyone who has posted about it in the past. Universities are always watching for alcohol abuse and you aren't just providing it but you're making it too. You could be in a major legal mess if someone gets alcohol poisoning from your 15% homebrew or gets into some sort of accident while intoxicated.

I'm glad you like to brew and I don't want to be preachy but homebrewing for college parties is remarkably irresponsible.

that picture is exactly what i was picturing this whole thread, except a little bit more jersey mixed in.

and i love how every frat bro makes the argument "we aren't like other frats, we are the cool frat. we don't do that other ****".

and i don't feel bad not helping you. nothing you have said points to any interest in the craft of brewing. everything you have said points to trying to get cheap alcohol to be used for potentially illegal reasons (said you were going to be making money, brewing over 100 gallons a year, potentially minors drinking it (never mentioned it, but its going to happen at parties)).

if your local stores have a mark up, it will still be quicker to drive farther away for cheap alcohol as opposed to waiting to make cheap alcohol

Sorry, but the motives behind my posts here are going to be about making party drink to get girls, make money, and make the frat look good.

Sorry if you think that you are getting harsh responses, but all it took was for me to read this. You need a party drink to "get girls" (lol?), "make money" (illegal), and "make the frat look good" (implying that it isn't inherently good, again, lol?)

And the you made womanizing comments like, "it better be sweet so girls will drink it!"

You aren't going to get anywhere with that kind of trolling.

If you aren't trolling, your post would have been better suited by just asking for a high gravity recipe that is sweet. The rest was just superfluous fluff.

I would suggest you use caution with your posting...and talking about your brewing.
We all enjoy a rather loose exemption from federal law and taxation. Clearly many people brew more than 200 gallons per year...but that is the legal annual maximum per home with 2 or more legal drinking age residents. This is not really enforced...but I would still suggest it isn;t wise for ANYONE to write about exceeding the limit.

Second, be very careful about compensation. If there is a door charge for a party, and you serve homebrew...you cross the line to "selling". This area IS enforced. The fines and penalties can get large very quickly.

Your goal is to eventually have a career, or business in the business...be careful...you don't want convictions getting in the way.

My advice: make plenty of homebrew, and enjoy with your Fraternity brothers...BUT don't serve it at parties....especially if there is a door charge. It isn't worth the risk just to save everyone a few $$

Why can't you brew low abv beer for people? if your mixing it with juice or soda, how cares...make a shandy or something. Make a wheat beer with any fruit then add sprite. The fact that your trying to make a 15% or more brew for parties is a little much. There is simply no need. Just brew 10 gallons of week of whatever and mix in some juice, you'll get more than 100 beers.

100 beers, but then...... what should I say when people ask for a second beer?

I absolutely love your honesty.
I don't see how you're going to get above the 10% mark without long-term fermentation.

Good luck though.

Your goal is to eventually have a career, or business in the business...be careful...you don't want convictions getting in the way.

My advice: make plenty of homebrew, and enjoy with your Fraternity brothers...BUT don't serve it at parties....especially if there is a door charge. It isn't worth the risk just to save everyone a few $$

Thanks for worrying about me, but we've got it covered. Our fraternity is on good terms with the local police. We actually talked to them about it. They know what we do, but we've never caused any serious trouble for them before like other greeks, so they were suprisingly OK with it. Weird right?

Mostly because it never leaves the house. Brewed, mixed, and drank under the same roof. To the outside world, it basically never existed.

There's also some weird law about gaining academic insight and knowledge about brewing. my major concentration is Brewery Science, so I have a legitimate reason to brew quantities that may exceed 200 gallons. For academic insight of course. I've yet to find that law though, deputy probably was just fooling with me.

They were strict on the money of course, money never changes hands with homebrew. We knew that at the beggining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back