Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > high ABV beers, aging and how the flavors change

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
jourelemode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default high ABV beers, aging and how the flavors change

so I have a 11% belgian strong dark carbonating right now and I just have a question. I did a lot of reading and most of the people here who have made a beer similar to mine say that it takes a few months for the flavors to mellow out and balance. Some say that the beers taste green or are harsh. Does the flavor change as it carbonates? Because the sample for the gravity reading I tasted, tasted good to me already, not harsh at all and was very smooth.

thanks

On deck: Chimay Red clone, Westvleteren abt. 12 clone, Hoppy Darko Cascadian Dark Ale
Conditioning: chocolate stout

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
SIXFOOTER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats a nice style of beer. It will change over time and mellow out. I have a Dunkle thats over a year old and its great.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Let that brew age at least 6-8 months and you will be rewarded with a very good batch.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

im definitely going to age it long, but the sample I tasted at bottling was very smooth. I was expecting something harsh or something. does the flavor change when it carbonates that it will get harsh or something? Cause if it tastes like the sample plus carbonation, its already smooth....

On deck: Chimay Red clone, Westvleteren abt. 12 clone, Hoppy Darko Cascadian Dark Ale
Conditioning: chocolate stout

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Congrats on the big beer. My first big beer tasted like I poured solvent in the mix. After some study I found, and later tried, fermenting at a lower temperature. It curred the solventy bite. I also add a lot more yeast than normal now. Good Luck.

Quick Reply