High ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
The last three brews I have made have all come in higher than the recipe expected. I have gone from brew in a bag to a 5 gallon mash tun. I am not talking slightly higher but way higher. One was to be a strong weizen (7.5) but it ended up at 10.3, just tasted like alcohol.

I like a stronger brew but this is getting out of control. My last was a Red Ale target was 6.5 ended up at 8.3. Great taste but way to strong.

My OG is up everytime but my FG is about perfect.

Never had any issues with extract brews, partial mash or biag. First all grain was perfect, since then all too high.

I would guess that either your final volume is lower than you are expecting or your mash efficiency is higher than you are expecting.

What mash efficiency are you getting?

What mash efficiency do you have programmed in your software.

If you have 50% dialed in to your software, and you actually get 75%, you will be way off.

I had it originally at 70% and that was spot on the first time. After that of course I wasn't opening it as much (only for periodic stirs) so was hitting 85%. I didn't adjust on the Weizen but did on the others.

Gonna brew a stout next week gonna adjust recipe to 90% and see what happens. I loose very little temp in my mash with the small tun.

Back