Hi all, question about new kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks complete for an all grain system but I always like to buy my own equipment individually so I get what I want and don't get what I don't want. The 5 and 8 gallon pots can probably be bought at a local "thrift" shop for much cheaper. When I say "thrift" shop I don't mean a Salvation Army type place (though they may have some). I'm talking about those cheap sell everything stores. I got my two pots for $15 each.

Same with the mash tun. You can go to any hardware store and buy a cooler, put in a mesh filter or copper pipping and call it a day.

Just a thought to save money.

Thanks for the input guys. I was going to price everything out individually to see what the difference would be, but I wanted to make sure that the kit looked complete from another pair of eyes.

Really appreciate it!

Just to be clear, you realize you are in a way skipping a step by jumping from Mr. Beer to an all grain system. The more natural evolution might be to put together a 5 gallon extract/ extract with specialty grains kit. It is still a significant step up from what you've been doing, and the cost would be half or less of the kit you referenced. You can later add some all grain equipment to what you already have should you decide to.

Just to be clear, you realize you are in a way skipping a step by jumping from Mr. Beer to an all grain system. The more natural evolution might be to put together a 5 gallon extract/ extract with specialty grains kit. It is still a significant step up from what you've been doing, and the cost would be half or less of the kit you referenced. You can later add some all grain equipment to what you already have should you decide to.

I disagree. Mr Beer is a small extract batch. Making 1, 5, or 30 gallons is all the same.

Plus there are no "steps" in brewing. Just like there is more than one way to make the same beer. One person may go from extract to steeping to partial mash to all grain where another person might jump right in to all grain.

You may be right. But years ago when I watched my neighbor use a Mr beer I thought he poured a can of premixed malt extract/hops into a pot and boiled it. No hop additions, steeping specialty grains, less timing to consider, etc. Maybe it has changed. "Steps" was probably not a good word to use, but I still think there is a measurable difference in time and effort between the two.

That's a lot! For a full boil, you will also need a burner, and a grain mill.

I'd suggest you start slowly. Maybe buy a cooler, and adapt it for grain, and do a partial mash, and partial boil on your stove. Buy some copper tubing and make an immersion cooler. As you get comfortable, get more, and get bigger.

That's a lot! For a full boil, you will also need a burner, and a grain mill.

I'd suggest you start slowly. Maybe buy a cooler, and adapt it for grain, and do a partial mash, and partial boil on your stove. Buy some copper tubing and make an immersion cooler. As you get comfortable, get more, and get bigger.

Plenty of people do full boil without a chiller (although definately recommended) and a grain mill. Need is a strong word especially with the mill. Most if not all online vendors/lhbs will mill for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Plenty of people do full boil without a chiller (although definately recommended) and a grain mill. Need is a strong word especially with the mill. Most if not all online vendors/lhbs will mill for you.

The kit comes with a chiller, I figured he could look at making one, it is not difficult.

If he is going into all-grain in a big way, I expect him to buy grain in bulk. It would quickly save the cost of the mill.

I disagree. Mr Beer is a small extract batch. Making 1, 5, or 30 gallons is all the same.

Plus there are no "steps" in brewing. Just like there is more than one way to make the same beer. One person may go from extract to steeping to partial mash to all grain where another person might jump right in to all grain.

I agree that there are no steps in brewing. I brewed 1 kit that came with the carboy & airlock three years ago. Since then I've drank and brewed only my own recipes from DME, hops and yeast combinations. I don't think I'll ever get around to all grain. I don't need to because I'm brewing the best beer I've ever tasted.
Brew On!

Back