Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Chefjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with yeast starter

I washed the yeast from my last batch. I started a yeast starter with about .5 gallons of water with DME, OG was 1.040 and I added about a pint of washed yeast.

How much from that starter should I pitch for a 5 gallon batch. I ussually add dry yeast packets, this will be my first try to adding washed yeast.

Another question is. Should I add or discard the liquid from the starter?

Thanks

Primary: Stone IPA
Secondary: Hefeweizen
Bottled: SNPA clone, Framboise ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Half a gallon will give you plenty of yeast for a 5 gallon batch, I usually do about 1-1.5L for my starters.

You can go either way with pitching all the starter or cold crashing and decanting the liquid. Since you have a half gallon starter I would decant, thats a lot of starter wort for a 5 gallon batch.

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

My Kegbot Just hit 500 pours!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would pitch all of the yeast from the starter that you can get out of it. I agree that cold crashing and decanting the liquid before pitching is appropriate here. That is, assuming the starter has enough time to finish fermenting and be cooled down before you are ready to pitch yeast. If my starter is still bubbling away on brew day, then I just give it a real good shake and pitch it all.

RDWHAPBR

Quick Reply