New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help using a diffusion stone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
bstanf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help using a diffusion stone

I recently purchased a diffusion stone (Here's the one I got from Austin Home Brew).

I also purchased a couple bernzomatic oxygen canisters from Home Depot.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach them to each other. The Home Depot and Lowes near me both sell regulators for propane and gas grills. They don't sell any that are the right size to attach to the bernzomatic canister. They suggested buying the $70 torch kit the bottles are designed for, but that seems like an awful lot to spend on something I have no use for except for the regulator inside.

Any suggestions on where I can find the right stuff online?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanf View Post
I recently purchased a diffusion stone (Here's the one I got from Austin Home Brew).

I also purchased a couple bernzomatic oxygen canisters from Home Depot.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach them to each other. The Home Depot and Lowes near me both sell regulators for propane and gas grills. They don't sell any that are the right size to attach to the bernzomatic canister. They suggested buying the $70 torch kit the bottles are designed for, but that seems like an awful lot to spend on something I have no use for except for the regulator inside.

Any suggestions on where I can find the right stuff online?
All required parts are available from Austin Home Brew
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2437

You need the brass shut off/ flow control valve to complete your set-up.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
All required parts are available from Austin Home Brew
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_352&products_id=2437

You need the brass shut off/ flow control valve to complete your set-up.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Actually they may not really have them...read these threads.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/everyone-out-oxygenation-kits-210731/?highlight=regulators

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/where-all-oxygen-regulators-210463/?highlight=regulators

There's been an issue with a recall/discontinuation of the ones we have been using and nothing really has hit the market. The threadings are different for O2 as for propane.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
BMan1029
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought an oxygen aeration system from William's. Came with tubing, diffusion stone attached to a stainless steel wand....very helpful in getting the stone to the bottom....and also the regulator. It was around $50.00, I tried to get a link for it, but couldnt find it...not sure if they arent offering it. Disposable oxygen cylinders have a left hand thread. I recommend contacting your local welding supplier or HVAC distributor. They most likely have these simple regulators in stock or can get them quickly.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

As most of us know, they are junk...but workable junk.
Thanks for the info.
Those set-ups have never been my choice and I don't pay much attention about the availability as you can tell.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
bstanf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
There's been an issue with a recall/discontinuation of the ones we have been using and nothing really has hit the market. The threadings are different for O2 as for propane.
Thanks for the links, Revvy.

Looks like my best bet might actually be buying one of those torch kits, for now. I appreciate the background reading.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My SWMBO bought an "oxygenator" style kit for Christmas, it was the last one left and I really didn't think she would find one so I am super lucky or at least I thought I was lucky!

So according to Revvy's post are these valves having problems? I have not found any info about them other than they are very difficult to locate outside of the BernzOmatic kits!

I emailed the BernzOmatic people and asked if they could offer just the oxygen valves, stressing the value to the homebrewing community in general and all I got back was a dry:
"Unfortunately we do not offer replacement parts or a fitting that would
better suit your application. Try a welding supply for oxygen regulators.
We apologize for the inconvenience & appreciate your feedback".

Personally I think they are passing up a good selling opportunity but that is just my opinion!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have one I bought here in Canada a few years ago that the seller no longer carries.
Mine is great and has worked faithfully for me these past 2 or 3 years. Mine came complete with stone, filter, regulator and hoses.
Mine is like this one http://www.homebrewing.org/Oxynator-oxygen-regulator-and-diffusion-kit_p_1057.html

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
So according to Revvy's post are these valves having problems? I have not found any info about them other than they are very difficult to locate outside of the BernzOmatic kits!
I've had mine for years, and as I have mentioned in other posts, it only has two settings "Off", and "Cranked open all the way" no variable setting in between whatsoever. That ultimately might have been the item's downfall. I use mine, and have no intention to get rid of it, it just has to be open all the way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Revvy. That was very helpful.

All: I am looking for venture capital to fund my home brew O2 regulator company. Please invest.

Quick Reply