HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with stc-1000 programming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Pelican521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Help with stc-1000 programming?

So I finally made time to wire up my stc-1000 temp controller last night and it seems like everything is in working order.

The only thing is, I don't know how to program it! I guess it was getting late, but the instructions didn't seem clear to me. Could anyone give me a quick lesson and also let me know what would be the best settings for a full size fridge.

I don't want to burn out my fridge with the compressor going on and off too frequently.

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
twistr25

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What is your desired temperature? Is it for serving or as a fermentation fridge? Do you have it wired for heating and cooling?

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yep, it's wired for heating and cooling. I don't have anything to brew at the moment. I'm just trying to program it.

Say for example I want to have it set at 64 degrees?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
pfgonzo

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 33

There are 4 options on the STC-1000

F1 - Set temp
F2 - Differential
F3 - Compressor Delay
F4 - Calibration

Press and hold that S-button until you see F1 on the display. You then release the S-button and can use the up or down arrows to move from F1 through F4.

If you have F1 showing, HOLD the S button and while holding it (for me this takes two hands) press the up or down arrows to pick the temperature you want it set at. Once you have the set temp you want, release the S-button, and press the power button once to save it. If you forget to press the power button when you're done, the STC-1000 won't save your change.

In normal operations, the STC-1000 display will always show the actual temperature reading from the probe. The only way to know your set temp is to get into the settings like this.

[Edit 1] I just remembered you can make the STC-1000 show your set temp by just pressing the up or down button (I forget which) while it's in normal operation mode. You can't change the settings this way, but it will display the set temp for you.

F2 is the temperature differential, as I mentioned. Same deal. Press and hold the S button until F1 shows up. Release the S button, and press the up or down arrow to get to F2. Once you're on F2, HOLD the S-button again and press the up and down arrows to pick a differential. 0.5 or 1C is usually fine, but fine tune it to your system. If you have it set at 1.0, and the temperature of the liquid gets 1C over your set temp, the cooling plug will kick in. The reverse is true for heating.

F3 is the timer delay for engaging the cooling unit, and is to preserve the compressor of your chest freezer, fridge, AC unit, etc...

F4 is temperature calibration. Always test your temp probe with a known temperature, boiling water, freezing water, or something in between using another temp probe you trust to compare. If it's off, you can make adjustments.

Happy brewing!

[Edit 2] When you test the STC-1000 don't freak out if your cooling outlet doesn't power up right away. It will wait for the differential period before kicking on. If you're differential is set for 7 minutes, wait 7 minutes before you go ripping wires out! Like I did for 2 hours before I figured out why my cooling outlet wasn't working.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Liked 561 Times on 494 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post

F1 - Set temp
F2 - Differential
F3 - Compressor Delay
F4 - Calibration

Press and hold that S-button until you see F1 on the display. You then release the S-button and can use the up or down arrows to move from F1 through F4.

If you have F1 showing, HOLD the S button and while holding it (for me this takes two hands) press the up or down arrows to pick the temperature you want it set at. Once you have the set temp you want, release the S-button, and press the power button once to save it. If you forget to press the power button when you're done, the STC-1000 won't save your change.

In normal operations, the STC-1000 display will always show the actual temperature reading from the probe. The only way to know your set temp is to get into the settings like this.

[edit] I just remembered you can make the STC-1000 show your set temp by just pressing the up or down button (I forget which) while it's in normal operation mode. You can't change the settings this way, but it will display the set temp for you.

F2 is the temperature differential, as I mentioned. Same deal. Press and hold the S button until F1 shows up. Release the S button, and press the up or down arrow to get to F2. Once you're on F2, HOLD the S-button again and press the up and down arrows to pick a differential. 0.5 or 1C is usually fine, but fine tune it to your system. If you have it set at 1.0, and the temperature of the liquid gets 1C over your set temp, the cooling plug will kick in. The reverse is true for heating.

F3 is the timer delay for engaging the cooling unit, and is to preserve the compressor of your chest freezer, fridge, AC unit, etc...

F4 is temperature calibration. Always test your temp probe with a known temperature, boiling water, freezing water, or something in between using another temp probe you trust to compare. If it's off, you can make adjustments.

Happy brewing!
Excellent explanation.

Right now, let's focus on F1 (temp setting). The defaults on F2 and F3 will be just fine for now.

The thing that's easy to forget (after you've pressed/held S, see the F1 and then press/hold S again while doing the up/down arrows to adjust temp) is to hit that power button again to tell the unit to accept your changes. I've got three of these things and I still occasionally forget that.

It helps to practice at first with it at your kitchen table with a lamp plugged into the cool outlet. Also, if you see the red light blinking and the lamp/fridge does not come on, it's in compressor protection mode. Just give it a few minutes and it will switch over to activate the outlet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of precise temp control and tastier brew.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
PorterPete
Recipes 

Make sure to have thermal load in there. Add a 5 gallon bucket of water or something. Without it your temps could be jumping to quickly.

I had 2 gallons in a 4.7 cu ft freezer and I had to add another gallon of liquid for the temps to steady.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
pfgonzo

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Exactly! BigFloyd jumped in with his reminder right as I was typing Edit #2 from my post. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I was removing wires, cutting new ones, etc... for hours... before I finally figured out why my cooling outlet wasn't getting power. Felt very silly afterward.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks so much for the in-depth explanations guys! After I eat dinner (and the kids go to bed) I'll give it a try and see if I can get it to work!

Cheers!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Rockindaddy

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post

F1 - Set temp
F2 - Differential
F3 - Compressor Delay
F4 - Calibration

[Edit 1] I just remembered you can make the STC-1000 show your set temp by just pressing the up or down button (I forget which) while it's in normal operation mode. You can't change the settings this way, but it will display the set temp for you.

Happy brewing!

[Edit 2] When you test the STC-1000 don't freak out if your cooling outlet doesn't power up right away. It will wait for the differential period before kicking on. If you're differential is set for 7 minutes, wait 7 minutes before you go ripping wires out! Like I did for 2 hours before I figured out why my cooling outlet wasn't working.

Thanks for this! Too bad they can't copy this and include it in the instructions because your explanation is WAY easier to understand than the instructions. I printed this and have it taped on the wall next to my Stc-1000!

"He who laughs last..........thinks slowest!"

Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
FatsSchindee
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just ordered one of these bad boys, and am just commenting here to subscribe to this thread so i can find it easily when I'll need it in the future... Looks like a good tutorial - thanks!

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
- Homer Simpson

Quick Reply