Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help Please...Possible Infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Waxwing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help Please...Possible Infection?

I currently have a winter warmer in a secondary that I was hoping to have ready for Christmas. However, today I walked into my brew-room and noticed a white film covering about 40% of the top of the beer. I've never had anything like this happen as I'm usually pretty meticulous about keeping everything clean.

I took a picture (from above) of the film. It looks perfectly smooth and I'm pretty sure it's not made of bubbles. There's also condensation on the carboy directly above it.

Is it most likely some yeast or mold/bacteria? I haven't had a chance to taste it.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but different yeasts cause different types of film.

A couple questions:

1. How long has this been fermenting?If more than a week, I'd take a sample for gravity reading and taste it then
2. What type of yeast was used?

I've learned to not care about what it looks like and just wait until you can sample the beer. There have been too many times in my past where I was CERTAIN the beer was infected (just by appearance), only to find out it tasted great.

Give it some time, taste/test, and don't worry about it.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts

all that above and maybe post a few different photos? The one above is kinda hard to figure out what we're looking at.

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Quick Reply