Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help Please - Is My Brew going wrong!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
mattmoody_uk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help Please - Is My Brew going wrong!

Hi all

hope you are all well?

I've jst got started with home brewing (based in UK) and am quite excited about brewing my own beer.

I have a problem however - not sure things are going to plan!

Situation so far:-

Beer in a fermenting barrel and has been for nearly four weeks but isn't reaching 1.0 on the hydrometer that I have....

Is this normal? When should I be putting it in my other barrel? I check every day and its gradually edging up but has only got to .90 won't go any higher!

please help - have I killed 40 pints on beer!

thanks
Matthew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmoody_uk
Hi all

hope you are all well?

I've jst got started with home brewing (based in UK) and am quite excited about brewing my own beer.

I have a problem however - not sure things are going to plan!

Situation so far:-

Beer in a fermenting barrel and has been for nearly four weeks but isn't reaching 1.0 on the hydrometer that I have....

Is this normal? When should I be putting it in my other barrel? I check every day and its gradually edging up but has only got to .90 won't go any higher!

please help - have I killed 40 pints on beer!

thanks
Matthew
Matthew, 1st and foremost...relax.

Did you take a hydrometer reading at the time you added the yeast? If so, that is your "Original Gravity" (OG).

The reading you take when you "think" your brew is finished is your Final Gravity.

There is no magic single number on your hydrometer to "go for", but the difference between where you started and where you finish.

If your hydrometer reading has not changed in 2 or 3 days, your beer is finished fermenting. (Four weeks is more than enough time...7-10 days is pretty typical.)

If you didn't take a reading when you added your yeast...no harm done. Go ahead and confirm that your hydrometer reading is steady and move to a secondary fermenter fro a week and bottle it.

It will be fine.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1.0 reading on the hydrometer would be pure water, so I hope that's not what you are shooting for!

You might not be reading it properly, or it's not callibrated. Was there a target gravity for your brew? Usually it is a ballpark figure being off by a few "points".

loop

Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Look at your hydrometer again. Did your recipe have an ending gravity?

My beers finish out at 1.010 to 1.016 and some beers have even a higher FG.

I'd rack it to the secondary right away as 4 weeks is a bit long to leave it on that pile of trub.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe I missed it but...

Did anyone ask if active fermentation ever started? Did a krausen form?

Maybe I'm confused by the '.9' reference. Wouldn't that be a fluid that is thinner than water? Shouldn't beer readings always be 1.XXX at a hydrometer's calibrated temp?

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Totally unrelated to this fella's issue, but because alcohol is less dense than water, a fully fermented beer at 1.0 could happen. I'm sure a highly fermentable wort could get there.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm confused by the fact that it looks like I am reading that the specific gravity is going up. I'm thinking the hydrometer is off. Even though it is possible for a beer to get to 1.0 if the wort is highly fermentable, or even lower I guess it doesn't seem likely.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I've never seen a beer below 1.006, but if you made a sugar kit, it would be possible. I've had ciders and meads go down to 0.990 and my Brix hydrometer goes to -5.0, which would be about .980, wines maybe?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Nobody has asked the most significant question. What temperature is the beer? Most hydrometers are calibrated to 15c (55 degrees F). You have to adjust the reading if the temperature is higher or lower than that. Here's the hydrometer correction information from John Palmer's website (By the way, if you haven't read either his book or website from start to finish you need to.)http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

No matter what, move it to secondary (since it sounds like you're using your bottling bucket as primary), wait a week for it to settle again then bottle.

I think you'll find that your beer is fine.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
mattmoody_uk
Recipes 

Hi all

many thanks for your kind advice and comments - seems like not all hope is lost!

Will attempt to move the beer this evening and report back if problems.

Bit more info:
Hmm - did I take a hydrometer reading when I put it in the bucket - er no.

What readings was I going off - er, the ones that came with the hydrometer.

What kit was it - it was a kit that came in a can with the wort and yeast and I added sugar to it (although I'll admit it wasn't proper brewing sugar so may'be thats an issue too!)

Oh well, will get it moved over to my other barrel - do you reckon leave a week then rebottle or can I just leave it in my secondary barrel - it has a compression fitting and tap at the bottom?

thanks
Matthew

Quick Reply