Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help Please!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
sherwood_rds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help Please!!

I received a balliihoo brewing kit for Christmas and the instructions that came with it are a bit vague.

I am currently brewing black rock pilsener and it has been in the fermenting bucket for a few days at 16-18 degrees Celsius .

My first question is how do I check the gravity using the hydrometer in the kit? Do I need to remove the airlock and syphon some of the brew out to check? Do I need to do this into a specific kind of jar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Richard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood_rds View Post
Do I need to remove the airlock and syphon some of the brew out to check?

Thanks Richard
Yep...that's the best way. Use a beer thief or turkey baster to put some in a tall skinny container and take your reading from that.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
sherwood_rds
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivekD

Yep...that's the best way. Use a beer thief or turkey baster to put some in a tall skinny container and take your reading from that.
Thanks for this. I also have another question - once the gravity reaches 1005 and I have syphoned into the plastic 'keg' that came with the kit, how much sugar should I add? The instructions on the black rock tin say add 1 teaspoon per 750ml bottle but this would mean I would need to add 53 teaspoons to the keg before secondary fermentation. Thanks again

Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 59

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 254

first off, you'll want to sanitize anything that comes in contact with the beer. you have sanitizer, right?

brew supply shops sell a "sample jar" which is a long skinny tube. this limits how much you need to pull. you need to submerge the hydrometer sufficiently so it floats.

don't put the sample back into the fermenter once you're done. drink it instead. throwing it back increases your chances of contamination.

bottling sugar, AKA priming sugar: it's better to weigh it instead of going by volumes (cups, teaspoons, etc). volumes can vary - a cup of sugar A can be different than a cup of sugar B. use this to determine how much sugar to use: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ (it includes an "amount in cups" number, but weigh the sugar if you can).

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

I must agree whole heartedly with that!
I tried measuring the sugar a few times and ended up with mildly overcarbed beers. Now I weigh it.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
sherwood_rds
Recipes 

Thanks for this. The calculator suggests appoximately 100g of sugar for my 4.8 gallons of pilsener. Does this seem right?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

That sounds about right.
Do you know how many volumes of carbonation you are looking for?
It does have a way to find that by style of beer.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
sherwood_rds
Recipes 

It's black rock pilsener so I selected Czech pilsener in the calculator and 100g of Demerara sugar is what it came up with.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
rodwha
Recipes 

Ought to be close enough.

Quick Reply