Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Rascal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help please

I am a little confused(working on my first brew). I have read as much I could and watched an instructional video. I thought I had everything mapped out. I brewed my first batch 7 days ago and my plan was to transfer into the secondary fermentor tonight, but after reading some of the forum there appears to be several schools of thought as to whether or not just leave it in the primary fermentor for another week or so. By the way my first brew is the Autumn Amber Ale kit. Are there any thoughts on this? Thanks. By the way this is a great board from what I've read and I will probably update to a premium membership soon if I get hooked on this brewing stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Leave it in primary for 2-3 more weeks if you can stand it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 927 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

There's no right or wrong answer to your question. Its mostly about preferences, what works for your process and setup.

For me, there are a couple of reasons to use a secondary or bright tank: 1) need to free up a primary for another batch; 2) long term aging; 3) dry hopping; 4) want to add gelatin or other finings. Otherwise, I leave it in the primary.

Oh, and welcome to HBT and congrats on your first batch!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Ditto posts above. Transferring after a week was old school when yeast health was questionable. Today we have good, healthy yeast that makes your beer better with time. So, what you've seen on this site re: long primary is very much accurate and good practice.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
BlueWolf
Recipes 

Welcome to brewing, and to HBT!

I have never agreed with the fermentation time listed on most of the instructions for kits out there. Often times 7 days not nearly enough for the beer to be in a primary. Patience is always your greatest ally, and often the greatest enemy for new brewers (it was for me!).

My advice is to wait for fermentation to complete. If you're in a hurry, check your gravity reading after 7+ days, and when it finally stays the same for about 3 days, THEN you can consider moving it to a secondary if you really want/need to.

Personally, the shortest amount of time I leave a beer in the primary is 2 week, but 4-6 weeks is my standard. You don't need a secondary unless you want to clear the beer more, or add additional ingredients.

The best advice you'll see around here is to be patient. It's a killer, but you'll be happy you did.

Good luck, and welcome to a great hobby!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What do you want us to do? You say you've read the discussions on here, so you know what folks do. There's hundreds of thousands of discussions on it. You have to make up your own mind. The info is here, so now you need to decide whether you want to accept it or not. We cant tell you what to do....Do you want us to re-invent the wheel and tell you again our thoughts?Some of us have invested hours in writing up our thoughts on that already and researching it. What point is there to that again?

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just confused about what you want from us.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 387 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The chance of you "hurting" the beer by letting it sit in the primary a little longer is basically zero.

Like you mentioned, there are two schools of thought and it seems pretty evenly divided between the "need to secondary" and "don't need to secondary" parties.

Personally... I do both... sometimes I'll simply keg a beer right out of the primary after three-four weeks. Other times, I'll primary for two weeks and then secondary for two weeks.

Either way... especially on your first few batches, I would not worry about it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
MrOrange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Most of my beer stay in primary for at least a month unless I'm adding something to them during secondary as mentioned above. I just bottled an oatmeal stout last night that sat in primary for 6 weeks. Also, is that the Autumn Amber Ale from Austinhomebrew? I brewed one of those when i first started out and it turned out to be a pretty good beer let me know how yours comes out.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Rascal
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll just leave it in the primary. One other quick question? I haven't taken any kind of readings on it. Do I need to do any of that or just wait a couple of weeks and move it to the bottling bucket?Thanks

Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll just leave it in the primary. One other quick question? I haven't taken any kind of readings on it. Do I need to do any of that or just wait a couple of weeks and move it to the bottling bucket?Thanks
Just do it on bottling day before you start the bottling process.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply