Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help picking kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
shotty71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help picking kit

I brewed beer in the past with mini brew system. I am looking to start some serious brewing and need help choosing a kit I think I have narrowed it to 3 kits, but if anyone has any better suggestions please help.

Homebrew.com: Deluxe Two-Stage System

http://www.brewersconnection.com/catalog/allglass.htm

Brewing Intermediate Kit w/Two 5 Gallon Glass Carboys :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
AmberChris
Recipes 

I would go with the last choice. You have a a seperate bottling bucket which comes in handy. And the stick on thermometers instead of the floating one you have in your first choice. I would want to open your primary bucket to check on your floating thermometer. The second or third look good. But if I were you, I would have a fermenting primary bucket and a bottling bucket to go along with your 2 carboys. Just my 2 cents worth...

Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
AmberChris
Recipes 

****wouldnt**** want to open primary excuse me....you would NOT want to do that.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
shotty71
Recipes 

Thanks AmberChris I am leaning towards that one

Old 01-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
mr jones
Recipes 

not sure about shipping costs but it looks like midwest's is the cheapest and you get the most beer storage for your buck. if you time it right you can have 3 batches going at a time. if i read the description right. all of them didn't come with bottles so start saving your brown pry off empties now. ferment well.

-nick

I'm trying to drink away the part of the day that I cannot sleep away

Rogue Crow Brewery

Primary 1 (chino)- carmel vanilla cream ale
Primary 2 (adam)- nothing
primary 3 (billy)- nothing
Secondary 1 (perry)- nothing
Secondary 2 (waymon)- nothing
Bottled- Freetail Ale 1.crow, prematura premavera (saison), Monticello House Ale
On Deck- blonde ale (fruit experiment)

Last edited by mr jones; 01-27-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Just my 2 shillings... the kit I'm ordering is the third one on your list (except I went with plastic Better Bottles, personal choice.) The only thing I'm wondering about that kit is why it comes with 2 carboys, a fermenting bucket, and only 2 airlocks. I was under the impression that you'd want an airlock in each carboy, and one for your bucket.

Then again, I'm a noob.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
bearcamp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would go with the one from Midwest. I orderd my kit from them and love it. Also recently bought another bucket and better bottle from them so I can have more brews going. I would order someother stuff if you don't have like a boiling pot, spoons, extra airlocks, more stick on thermometers, cleaning and sanatizing. Ohh and don't forget a recipe kit also.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Just my 2 shillings... the kit I'm ordering is the third one on your list (except I went with plastic Better Bottles, personal choice.) The only thing I'm wondering about that kit is why it comes with 2 carboys, a fermenting bucket, and only 2 airlocks. I was under the impression that you'd want an airlock in each carboy, and one for your bucket.

Then again, I'm a noob.
Maybe they think you won't be using all three at the same time. I was wondering if it included a blowoff hose instead (if using carboy as primary), but doesn't appear to. Airlocks are really cheap though.

What's the idea of one ale pail + two 5 gallon carboys? You'll have two beers in secondary when one is in primary?

Edit: Just noticed that the others have one 5g and one 6g carboy, where Midwest offers two 5g. The former would be preferable to me.

Last edited by McGarnigle; 01-27-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Just noticed that the others have one 5g and one 6g carboy, where Midwest offers two 5g. The former would be preferable to me.
With a 6.5 gallon primary, is it necessary to have more than 5 gallon secondaries? I thought that you really only needed the extra headspace to handle krausen that would appear in your primary.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
DOGBOY
Recipes 

ALL-IN-ONE Cooper's Home brewing kit. This Microbrewery Kit includes everything you need to brew and bottle your first beer. It even comes with Cooper's popular Lager Beer kit.

Click here: ABOUT THE MICROBREWERY KIT to see all that is included in the kit.Coopers Microbrewery Kit | Beer Making Kit

Get a FREE T-SHIRT with any Microbrewery Kit order! (while supplies last)
Microbrewery Kit
Microbrewery Kit ,Welcome to Beer-Wine.com try these ,http://www.monsterbrew.com/Cat-EquipmentKits.cfm ,

Last edited by DOGBOY; 01-27-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply