Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with overcoming problems with brewing in Guatemala

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
gingerporter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with overcoming problems with brewing in Guatemala

Hi all

My girlfriend and I have been cycle touring across the Americas and decided to stop in Guatemala for a year or so. We have a great climate (apart from the occasional tropical storm!) for brewing ales year round so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to get back into some brewing.

So I managed to con some people flying in to bring an airlock, grommet and some yeast and a few other bits and pieces. Unfortunately due to time contraints (and airline delivery restrictions) I couldn't get a hydrometer in time.

So I put down my first brew yesterday in a plastic carboy (ginger, sugar, apple, honey, pear, molasses, lemon, coopers dry ale yeast - yes I'm an extract brewer but I haven't found malt available here yet) and it started bubbling away after 18 hours and smells/looks normal to me. So all good so far.

I'm used to using a hydrometer before and during fermentation so I know what's going on. Obviously I was aware before hand that I would not have one and I just plan on letting the batch sit in the carboy for 2-3 days after the bubbling has slowed/stopped.

Some obvious problems with this approach I know (stuck fermentation etc) which is why you use a hydrometer. Does anyone have any additional advice on when I should bottle OR some good signs for bottling?

This should be quite a strong brew; from the online recipe calculator I used the starting gravity is 1.066 and the target gravity 1.017 (ABV 6.5%).

Cheers

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You're out for a bike ride and just decide to stop for a year...in Guatemala?!?!?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
gingerporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
You're out for a bike ride and just decide to stop for a year...in Guatemala?!?!?
Hey it beats living in Washington DC or Sydney!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the fermentaion was good then krausen dropping is a pretty good measure of when it is done.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Seems to me you are in a wine climate, not a beer climate.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
gingerporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts - fermentation seems to be pretty standard so far; it's bubbling away once every one or two seconds.

I did order some wine yeast to make some higher alcohol ciders/meads/fruit wines. Thought I'd start with something I'm a tiny bit more familiar with before I go there though.

Cheers

Matt

Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1053

I would think that Guatemala would be a bit warm for most ales.

But anyway, I'd just let it go for at least 3 weeks to be sure. RDWHAHB!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
gingerporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I would think that Guatemala would be a bit warm for most ales.

But anyway, I'd just let it go for at least 3 weeks to be sure. RDWHAHB!
Ta - 3 weeks OK. I had been thinking more along the lines of 2 weeks. I'm not sure how good the quality of the plastic carboy I'm using is (it's probably not an issue) and I know the seal around the grommet isn't perfect (grommet is a fraction to small for the carboy and has been sealed with a new and sterilized kitchen sponge - the seal is OK). It's not ideal but you work with what you have. There is quite a lot of rouge bacteria here - given the above should I be worried after the CO2 pressure drops in the fermenter about nasties getting in?

Yeah the fermenter has been sitting at around 24C (75F) a bit higher then I expected and had wanted. The brew should have some pretty dominant flavours so it hopefully won't be to much of a problem.

We are living at 1,500m (5,000ft) which keeps the temperatures down - typically around 25C (80F) during the day dropping to around 15C (60F) at night.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Gman2
Recipes 

I used to live in Pana also. It is a great town!

Hope you are surviving the flooding. We have a few friends who lost houses along the river there, and it looks like almost all the bridges are out again.

I would say leave it in the fermentor for 2 to 3 weeks and bottle. that way the yeast will have time to clean up after itself.

Last edited by Gman2; 06-02-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
gingerporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK - thanks guys! I'll be patient, not worry about it and leave it for three weeks.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply