Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help a Newbie out!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
RyanJE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help a Newbie out!!

Hey everyone just got my first homebrew kit. Here it is..

http://www.leeners.com/brewery.html

and i got the English brown ale. is there any parting advice, i dont know anyone who has done this and i want my first batch to come out well. Has anyone read the book that comes with, is it trust worthy. Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

That book came with my first kit, it's VERY old, IIRC. Like, 1991.

Go to www.howtobrew.com - that's John Palmer's book, the first edition, completely free online. Better still, invest the $15 or whatever in his latest addition. There's just so much that has changed over the years.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the addiction. My words of advice are as follows.

As you venture your way through your first batch, you'll come to realize what these words mean. You'll worry a million times, "is this ok, is that ok", and you'll post all of your questions here. And 9 times out of 10, the answer will be as follows:

Relax... don't worry... have a homebrew (or in your case, since it's your first batch... a brew)

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 12-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I'm a newbie myself (batch #1 is barely in the bottle, batch #2 is in the fermenter) but I can't stress enough how valuable keeping a journal is. I'd suggest getting a notebook and keep notes on what you're brewing and how you're doing it. I bought my kit from a LHBS and had a question about bottling. The store owner started asking me questions about what I did during the brewing process, and I just thumbed through my notes and gave him the info. It made it much easier to pinpoint my problems, so in the future when I try to duplicate (or avoid) a result, I'll be able to look it up in my brew book.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
RyanJE
Recipes 

"Go to www.howtobrew.com - that's John Palmer's book, the first edition, completely free online. Better still, invest the $15 or whatever in his latest addition. There's just so much that has changed over the years."

If i use the online version will it work with my kit (link above) or will it make it more confusing. Im excited to brew my first batch and want it to turn out well.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJE
"Go to www.howtobrew.com - that's John Palmer's book, the first edition, completely free online. Better still, invest the $15 or whatever in his latest addition. There's just so much that has changed over the years."

If i use the online version will it work with my kit (link above) or will it make it more confusing. Im excited to brew my first batch and want it to turn out well.
The online version is fine for starting out. Just read the first chapter and go ahead and brew!!!

Most of the new info comes later. It's nice to have a paper copy for notes and stuff. Check Amazon, it's at least a couple of bucks cheaper.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
RyanJE
Recipes 

OK so i read the whole first chapter and now i am more confused! I have grain in my ingredient kit and that isnt even in the first section. Also the first section makes no mention a a secondary fermenter (glass carboy) that i have as well. here is a link to the instructions that came with the kit. Should i just follow these??

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20catalog/Brewers%20Best%20Recipes/1016%20English%20Brown%20Ale.pdf

Any suggestions??

Old 12-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Steps A through G look very good, and I would go ahead and follow them. For using a secondary fermenter, all you have to do is sanitize the secondary, sanitize the racking cane, and transfer the beer over. Other than that, you can follow the rest of the steps normally. After you brew the beer get it into the fermenter, you should read the How to Brew online book. Everything will make sense soon enough.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 12-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #9
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Just for clarity - When you transfer to the secondary, try not to disturb the "trub" on the bottom of the primary - all you want to do is transfer the liquid (your beer).

I only mention this because I watched someone stir up the trub before he transfered - I stopped him before he transfered.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:49 AM   #10
RyanJE
Recipes 

Thanks for everything so far guys it is a huge help im glad i signed up here!!

How long should i leave the beer in the primary and then how long in the secondary. i think the how to brew book would suggest 1 week and then 2 weeks. what do you guys think?? Also do you all strain the hops out before transfering the wort to the fermenter?

Quick Reply