Help! My beer changed after carbonating with keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accordpower99

Reaction score
After fermenting I put the beer in a a secondary for a day. the test sample to get my FG reading was surprisingly clear and tasted awesome. I sanitized the keg with san star then transferred the beer from the secondary to the keg. I have the Co2 bottle in the kegerator with the keg. I set the pressure at around 28-30 psi for the last 2 days. Dropped the pressure today to 8 psi then went to dispense and here is what it dispensed. And it doesn't taste like the fermented sample I had when transferring the beer.

Heres photos of the process and end result. Please help!:(

20121003_204611[1].jpg

20121004_191518[1].jpg

20121006_175723[1].jpg

20121006_180023[1].jpg

Looks like the settled yeast. Pour another pint or 2 and it should clear, if not you may need to give it a couple of days to clear since the force carbbing kicked up the remaining yeast

So it stopped dispensing. So I opened it up to find ice, is that my issue here? also the carbonation seems low still.

So it stopped dispensing. So I opened it up to find ice, is that my issue here? also the carbonation seems low still.

Ice? The beer froze? That's bad. Turn the kegerator up (down?) to keep the beer at 40 degrees or warmer.

I noticed in the keg there is a lot of what appears to be foam on top of the beer. Is that star-san, or did the beer get aerated?

Yooper said:
Ice? The beer froze? That's bad. Turn the kegerator up (down?) to keep the beer at 40 degrees or warmer.

I noticed in the keg there is a lot of what appears to be foam on top of the beer. Is that star-san, or did the beer get aerated?

Looks like it got aerated. U can see the end of the siphon hose about the foam.

I turned the kegerator down but should I thaw the beer out then put back in the kegerator under regular carbonation 8 psi?

Once the keg is thawed, you should be ok.

As I mentioned, it looks like the beer splashed like a son of a gun, and the tube wasn't at the bottom of the keg as it filled, so if that's true, drink it ASAP. The easiest way to ruin a beer is by oxidizing it. It looks like the siphon tube is up high in the keg, and the beer looks very foamy, even in spite of the star-san. I think this keg will be pretty awful in a week or so, if it's oxidized as badly as it looks.

Once the keg is thawed, you should be ok.

As I mentioned, it looks like the beer splashed like a son of a gun, and the tube wasn't at the bottom of the keg as it filled, so if that's true, drink it ASAP. The easiest way to ruin a beer is by oxidizing it. It looks like the siphon tube is up high in the keg, and the beer looks very foamy, even in spite of the star-san. I think this keg will be pretty awful in a week or so, if it's oxidized as badly as it looks.

This is so true. My first experience with a keg was a 2.5 gallon one and I definitely aerated it putting it in the keg. Tasted ok the first week and got progressively worse. My hose touches the bottom of the keg when I rack it for kegging. You wouldn't think something like that could make so much of a difference but it did.

crap yeah i didnt know i had to fill it with the hose all the way at the bottom. If I bottle the beer will it still only be good for a week? Thanks so much for all the info so far...Beer Gods!! lol.

I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of bottling now. It's only another chance for something wrong to happen. Just chug that beer and invite people over ASAP!

Next time, fill the corny through the beer-out line, and it's best to purge the oxygen by running some Co2 into the corny before racking.

Latest posts

Back