Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help! My aerator is bubbling over

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
SDBrewer08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! My aerator is bubbling over

Hello all.
Just brewed my first 2 batches this past weekend.
A Nut Brown, and an American IPA.
The aerator on the Nut Brown is bubbling nicely, but the one on the IPA is lightly foaming out the top of the aerator.
Any ideas on how to remedy this? I've heard of blow-off technique, but am a little confused. Or--do I just leave this, and wipe it off a few times a day?
Thank you SO much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I take it you mean airlock? Are you fermenting in a bucket? If so you can rig a blowoff tube on a 3 piece airlock like this...

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

Don't for forget to sanitize it and then put one end of your hose in a container with sanitized water or vodka.

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are several options for a blowoff tube (one is described above) You can do a search on blowoff tube to get some more information as well.

Some people will use a 1" hose from the neck of the carboy (fits neatly inside) into a bucket of sanitizer. Others will just shove some 3/8 tubing through a drilled stopper. You can also use a carboy cap with a tube attached as a blowoff tube. Any of these ways will work, although you still have a chance of the smaller tubes getting clogged and blowing your cap/stopper etc off and plastering your ceiling with gunk.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congratulations on a real healthy fermentation!!!

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Quick Reply