Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me understand the hydrometer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #11
k1ngl1ves
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 190

The key to using a hydrometer is...

Always have more than one. They're delicate little bastards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 02:28 AM   #12
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 47

That reading looks a lot better and the foam earlier may have been helping to keep the hydrometer floating higher than it should have been. And smart woman to suggest using the 222oz bottle for the test; if I didn't have my test tube for the hydrometer I would have been scrambling all over looking for a way to test it not once thinking of using the bottle itself.

Another thing you will want to do is calibrate your hydrometer. That involves filling your tube up with whatever water you are using to brew with (tap or if you buy bottled water) and placing your hydrometer in. It should read 1.000; if it doesn't then you you will need to remember to compensate for the amount it is off in all future readings (if you want to keep logs that are as accurate as possible). For example my hydrometer reads at 0.096 so I'll need to add 0.004 to all my readings.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 AM   #13
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
The key to using a hydrometer is...

Always have more than one. They're delicate little bastards.
Especially the bottling (.980-1.020 range) hydros. They have thinner necks and are more expensive--both attributes pretty much guarantee that you'll break it.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:54 AM   #14
k1ngl1ves
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
That reading looks a lot better and the foam earlier may have been helping to keep the hydrometer floating higher than it should have been. And smart woman to suggest using the 222oz bottle for the test; if I didn't have my test tube for the hydrometer I would have been scrambling all over looking for a way to test it not once thinking of using the bottle itself.

Another thing you will want to do is calibrate your hydrometer. That involves filling your tube up with whatever water you are using to brew with (tap or if you buy bottled water) and placing your hydrometer in. It should read 1.000; if it doesn't then you you will need to remember to compensate for the amount it is off in all future readings (if you want to keep logs that are as accurate as possible). For example my hydrometer reads at 0.096 so I'll need to add 0.004 to all my readings.
You also have to compensate for the beer temp...

Quick Reply