Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > help me understand aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Ken_CT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default help me understand aeration

so I get that aerating the wort gets the yeasties off to a good start allowing them to multiply quickly.

The way I aerate is to shake the primary bucket vigorously before adding the yeast. What I don't understand is that there is only a little headroom between the beer and the lid (a bit over 1 gallon of space) Is there enough O2 there? Should I take the lid off every now and then to let new air get into that space before shaking again?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yes. Even the air that starts out in the headspace is only 21% oxygen. If you by chance got all of it to dissolve in the wort, it's not nearly enough.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use a similar method but I get a tennis ball, place the bucket on the tennis ball and move the bucket around. Using this method, I have never had a problem aerating my wort.

Has your beer been fermenting properly? If so, I wouldn't worry and stick to what has been working for you.

Drinking - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Primary - Highrise IPA
Up Next - None More Black Vanilla Stout, Heady Topper Clone (if I can find a recipe)

Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Ken_CT
Recipes 

I think it's fermenting fine, although the two batches I've made took a day or two to get going. (using liquid smackpacks smashed about 4 hours before pitching) Both batches tasted great.

So what I'm hearing is that it's probably not ideal even with exchanging the air a couple of times, but it's enough to get the job done. I would have to balance that with taking the lid off and risking some contamination while the air is exchanging I suppose.

I'll grab a tennis ball for my next session.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't gotten enough batches under my belt to really test my theory, but I sit my brwe kettle (post chilling) on top of the table, and put the fermentation bucket down on the ground and open the ball valve. The distance it falls is probably 3.5 ft, and when it hits the bottom there is plenty of bubbly action and it seems to aerate just fine. I haven't done any other steps to add oxygen and it seems to be ok.

I need to go back and check my yeast attenuation vs my OG and FG to see how well it went.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a fan of the splash method. I do a high pour of my original boil (3gal) over the additional 2 gal already in the primary. My pour must be pretty high since my wife was practically screaming at me when I did it. LOTS of bubbles and swishing going on. But I always do a vigorous stir/slosh for good measure. It's just so much fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Ken_CT
Recipes 

splashing makes sense. I suppose I also get some aeration when I sparge my specialty grains using a strainer into the fermenter.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
mkorpal
Recipes 

I just stir vigorously after I have cooled my wort but before I pour it into the fermentor. Seems to work just fine for me. Even when pitching a vile of while labs yeast with no starter, I didn't have any problems.

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

or you can just use the HBT "cheap & easy aeration gadget" basically you can introduce a bunch of oxygen during your transfer from the boil kettle to the fermenter just by using a short section of tubing with some small holes drilled in it to help oxygenate the wort.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...-gadget-68218/

Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Ken_CT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXguy View Post
or you can just use the HBT "cheap & easy aeration gadget" basically you can introduce a bunch of oxygen during your transfer from the boil kettle to the fermenter just by using a short section of tubing with some small holes drilled in it to help oxygenate the wort.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...-gadget-68218/
wow, just read the whole thread. That sounds like a great setup. (and the price is right which makes my Dutch bits tingle)

Thanks for posting the link.

Quick Reply