Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > help me with Pros & cons...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
OBDA1stLady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default help me with Pros & cons...

Hello, Im new to the group. My name is Ashley. Im the Cofounder of the Ohio Beer Drinkers Association. My husband and I want to start getting into making beer. However i cant decide if I should start with something like MR Beer just to get a feel for it or if i should hop right into one of the 5 gallon kits being sold on ebay?

Anyone have any pros or cons you could help me with making my decision?

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
hypergolic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would go with a starter kit, northern brewer sells them and I believe they come with a free introductory DVD. I would skip the Mr. Beer, but that's just my two cents. Prepare for this to become an obsession.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I skipped the Mr Beer gadget and went with Extract brews. I don't feel like I missed out on a thing.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1943 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

I have two different fermenters. But I like the Brewer's Best Ale Pale that I bought for my wife. It has the bigger "hose style" spigot that flows better,& the spigot handle is easier to turn. It looks like my bottling wand will fit inside the spout too. Just gotta see if the cooper's bottling wand I have fits. But Midwest has the BB ale pales in a complete kit too. They use Fed-Ex,& they're fast delivering. Good quality too.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would also go with a starter kit, taking the dive for me would be going straight into all grain. An extract kit with a beginner 5 gallon kit will make good beer. It will inspire you and let you realize how easy it is to make very drinkable beer. The price difference is not that different either.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Same here - I skipped Mr. Beer and went right to the beginner kit from northern brewer. Take a look online - if there's a local homebrew shop near you, go look around in the shop where you can see the stuff in person and chat with the employees about the equipment.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
KeydetBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Agreed. I would go with the 5 gal kit. If you like the hobby, you can use most of the kit as you expand your equipment. If you don't like it, there is always someone willing to buy a used 5 gal kit.

With the Mr. Beer kit, there is not much room to expand. If you like the hobby, you will end up buying a 5 gal kit anyways. If you don't like the hobby, you are stuck with a kit that not many people are looking to buy.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a mr beer kit about 3 years ago and used it and the beer that came out was barely drinkable(99% sure it was my fault because I didn't know enough about it) so I got turned off and about 6 months ago bought a starter kit for 5 gallon batches and have fallen in love, plus all that time and you get 5 gallons vs 5 liters

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
mrbubbly
Recipes 

go all grain! i started with extract kits and such and eventually went to all grain, on the other hand my buddy started all grain from the get-go and the speed at which he caught on and all the info he learned in such a short time was astounding!!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
ellisonsj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with everyone else - skip the Mr. Beer and go for the 5 gallon starter kit. I got started brewing when I got a Mr. Beer for Christmas a few years back. When I moved on to 5 gallon batches the Mr. Beer was handed down to my brother. I thought the Mr. Beer was making pretty good beer, but I recently tried some of my brother's and now that I've gotten used to the real stuff I can tell a significant difference in the quality.

Quick Reply