Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me identify off flavor in first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Aggie_JD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help me identify off flavor in first batch

Hey guys, new brewer here. I made a brown ale with an all extract kit. I have had several tastes of the beer and now it has been conditioning in the bottle for about 3 1/2 weeks.

Every time I've tasted it, including just now I have a terrible off flavor. It's difficult to describe but it is very harsh, with a very bitter aftertaste, but not a pleasant bitterness you get from hops. The carbonation is good, it looks great, but it smells and tastes bad. I can barely taste the grains at all as well. Any ideas? I know it's not very descriptive, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Thanks very much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Chuckd76
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey,
The best thing for you to do would be to share the beer with someone else. Maybe take it to your LHBS and give a few bottles to the employees for some feedback. I've only been brewing for a couple of years but I've found that just letting someone taste my brews (or even having a non-drinker smell them) works wonders for identifying off flavors. Also, there are kits out there that come with compounds you can add to beer to help with educating your palate. One last note, I've found it useful to buy beers and then read reviews of the beer as I drink it. Many times it's easier for me to identify a flavor once I've been given a hint. Good luck and happy brewing!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I can't tell what it is from the description above. This might help you narrow it down.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Aggie_JD
Recipes 

Yeah I actually have the book and I've been looking at those. I'd say it's a combination of an astringent flavor and also somewhat solvent like.

I did primary fermentation for about a week in a plastic bucket and about 3 more weeks in a glass carboy. OG and FG were right in the correct range as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

What yeast did you use and at what temperature did you ferment?

You could be dealing with sanitation issues, fermentation issues or water issues.

Look at this list and check both astringency and solvents like off flavors and the possible causes related to your process.
Your answers the above questions will help
http://www.kroc.org/Links/TroubleshootingGuide.htm

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
Aggie_JD
Recipes 

I used the packet of yeast that came with the kit, maybe that was an issue, but I don't think it was too old. I did rehydrate it first. Fermentation temp was around 63-66 in my pantry.

I did not realize that the wort needed to be aerated the first when I poured it from the kettle to the primary, so that might be an issue.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie_JD View Post
I used the packet of yeast that came with the kit, maybe that was an issue, but I don't think it was too old. I did rehydrate it first. Fermentation temp was around 63-66 in my pantry.

I did not realize that the wort needed to be aerated the first when I poured it from the kettle to the primary, so that might be an issue.
Pouring from one vessel to another will aerate the wort to an extent. In all honesty, my first batch tasted like sh**.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Aggie_JD
Recipes 

Fair enough. Worst comes to worst I'll let it hang out for another 6 weeks and try it again.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That sounds a lot like chlorophenols from chlorinated tap water. What was your water source?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
Aggie_JD
Recipes 

It was indeed tap water. Perhaps next time I'll try bottled.

Quick Reply