Help Me Decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
So I believe I'm going to order this kit today: Brewing Starter Kit w/Better Bottle :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies from midwestsupplies.com. Of course this will be my first time brewing and I am wanting to brew a Scottish / Irish Ale of some sort perhaps with a hint of vanilla (not necessary but i read it can be added somewhere along the line) Something similar to Smithwicks.
Anywho, I've been looking through midwestsupplies and find the kits a little confusing and hard to pick from. Do they all include brewing instructions--It'll be needed since it is my first time.

Thanks for the help. Just need a little hand getting started. :mug:

looks like a good buy to me, i say go for it. yes they should all have instructions with them.

could someone possibly shoot me in the right direction as to which kit to purchase and what i may need in addition to it? Note: was shooting for an easy to do Scottish / Irish Ale and perhaps a good Red!

Edit: I've read that. I'm sure I will several more times.

i looked, and looked, and looked...finally i just pieced it together. in the end, i have well over $600 in stuff.
i SHOULD have went with something like this right in the beginning. Personal Home Brewery #4 - Bottling Super Deluxe | MoreBeer

it is alot more money, but you get a good kettle for when you do full boils, a wort chiller, cuz cooling in the sink sucks for me. hell, the kettle alone in this kit is 159. the chiller is almost 100.... it is like getting the rest of the stuff for 50 bucks.

anyway, either of the kits you posted will get you going. if you dont have the $$$ to spring for all of it at once it is the way to go...
just remember, when it is done fermenting, you will need alot of this equipment.

So over at midwest I've decided on these two kits:

Scottish Ale w/ Scottish Ale Activator Wyeast
Irish Red Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Only thing I'm curious about is the Yeast. I realize different brews require different types of yeast yet what is the key difference between "Activator" and simply "dry?"

Perhaps i should start out with something simpler (these have specialty grains) or would these be just fine?

My first try "Alt Bier" had specialty grains.. I found it added fun and complexity to the basics.
It's all about Clean and organization and timing. Then remember have FUN!

So over at midwest I've decided on these two kits:

Scottish Ale w/ Scottish Ale Activator Wyeast
Irish Red Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Only thing I'm curious about is the Yeast. I realize different brews require different types of yeast yet what is the key difference between "Activator" and simply "dry?"

Perhaps i should start out with something simpler (these have specialty grains) or would these be just fine?

I brewed the Irish Red Ale with that exact starter kit on New Years Day. I bought a stainless steel stock pot (30 quart) at the local outlet mall and a thermometer. The brew went well. The kit instructions were detailed enough and the equipment included a basic book that helped also. Do as much research on here as you can, before you brew and you will be fine.

Good Luck,

Back