New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me build a quick Christmas Stout recipe from Coopers kits.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
CarnellSitka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Well there is lots of U-wine places near me, would they possibly have this strain of yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #22
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

O and i'll be kegging and force carbonating this beer.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #23
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

if i use all the LME it should look like this http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

is this really unbalanced?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #24
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

It wont let me show you the recipe i came up with but i got it up to 8.% by

Increasing Light Pale malt extract to: 4 lbs
Brown Sugar, Dark to: 3lbs

Nugget hop to 1 oz
Cascade to 0.7

and because i only have real access to coopers dry yeast i used that. does this make sense? It seems perfect to me.

on the scale its just left of centre towards hoppy/bitter, i've never used this scale so i don't know if this is ideal. But like i said im not a hop head.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #25
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnellSitka View Post
if i use all the LME it should look like this http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

is this really unbalanced?
The link only opens a blank recipe sheet in hopville.

You'll need to "save" the recipe so that it'll get a link-able url. In order to "save" it you'll have to register. Then, when you open your recipe, you'll be able to copy the url and paste it here.

Haven't got the foggiest regarding the u-wine places.

Was the lb of Cascade and lb of Nugget the LHBS guy's idea, too? You're going to become a lot more of a fan of hoppy beer by the time you've used that load up. You're going to be able to make another batch or two for pretty cheap, just the outlay for the kit cans, as a result. Try the Black Rock New Zealand company bitter and East India IPA kits with about the same recipe as this stout except use a standard, white, granulated sugar subbed for the brown sugar in the East India IPA.

The Cooper's yeast will do in a pinch and there'll be a packet under the lid of the Black Rock miner's stout too, but you will probably get a better result using a packet, or slightly more, of yeast like Safale US-05, Safale S-04 or Danstar Nottingham.

MrMalty.com calculates that you'd need about 17 gr = 1.4 packs of safale/danstar (11.5 g packs). In the end, it's up to you. It's your beer and you're going to be drinking/sharing it so do what you feel is best for you.

Personally I have no axe to grind with the Cooper's or Black Rock yeast but I have recently started adding the contents of those yeast packets into the boil with 10 minutes remaining as, I read on a thread here somewhere that this way, it becomes yeast nutrient and helps the main yeast you are using for fermentation.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #26
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

I think you may have missed it but i increased it to achieve 8%

Nugget hop to 1 oz
Cascade to 0.7

On the scale it is just left of centre towards hoppy/bitter, im not sure how this will tirn out but like i said im not a Hop Head by any means.

I got the ounce of hops from Irish stout recipe, or so i though lol, maybe i read it wrong.

LOL just realized i said i had a pound of each type of hope, i really have an ounce! Ha ha im not used to America's imperial system

Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #27
Ogri
Recipes 

Quote:
It wont let me show you the recipe i came up with but i got it up to 8.% by

Nugget hop to 1 oz
Cascade to 0.7

and because i only have real access to coopers dry yeast i used that. does this make sense? It seems perfect to me.

on the scale its just left of centre towards hoppy/bitter, i've never used this scale so i don't know if this is ideal. But like i said im not a hop head.
As mentioned before, the stronger your brew, the longer it'll take to condition and carb up, so if you're wanting this ready to drink, for it to be relatively well conditioned/carbed, at Christmas then it might be a better idea not to aim for an 8%er. Honestly, a 6.5 to 7% stout is going to have quite a good kick but the main thing is you want it to taste good. I've had an oatmeal stout that I got a bit adventurous with, it didn't attenuate fully, probably because I gave the yeast too much to deal with by throwing in too many fermentables so I'd get a strong brew. It ended up being a bit sweet and heavy and 7.5% or thereabouts. Made the one that you're loosely basing your present project on and it turned out really drinkable and enjoyable.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #28
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

You make really good points, i dont know why i got so obsessed with the 8% mark 6.5-7% is probably a better mark to hit. thanks again.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #29
Ogri
Recipes 

Quote:
I think you may have missed it but i increased it to achieve 8%

Nugget hop to 1 oz
Cascade to 0.7

On the scale it is just left of centre towards hoppy/bitter, im not sure how this will tirn out but like i said im not a Hop Head by any means.

I got the ounce of hops from Irish stout recipe, or so i though lol, maybe i read it wrong.

LOL just realized i said i had a pound of each type of hope, i really have an ounce! Ha ha im not used to America's imperial system
Yes, being close to middle of that scale will mean that your brew is well balanced. Neither too hoppy, nor too malty (sweet). Bear in mind that the kit can is hopped too so that's going to add some to the bitterness but overall it's not going to be anywhere near the APA style of hoppiness that you're none too fond of.

Glad to hear it's not 2lbs of hops you're sitting on, not that it'd be a bad thing if you're brewing a lot and I'm sure you'd soon become way more of a hophead than you are at present, it'd be a shame for them to go to waste.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
Ogri
Recipes 

Quote:
You make really good points, i dont know why i got so obsessed with the 8% mark 6.5-7% is probably a better mark to hit. thanks again.
I started with the Mr Beer stuff and didn't make a single one at the standard 4.something%. Right off the bat I was adding LME, sugar and trying to hit 7.something to 8.something% brews, too

Think it must be the Vyking in me

Quick Reply