*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me build a quick Christmas Stout recipe from Coopers kits.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
CarnellSitka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

sounds like a great idea

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Do a little reading up on hop varieties, flavours, aromas and such, and hop schedules, if you can. This will help you determine how to hop your brews. Using a kit can you might only want to do a 40 minute bittering boil, or more or less, it just depends on your tastes, the alpha acid level of the hop you are using, etc. Etc.

Then you could get into steeping some specialty grains and starting a brew off from there.

By the way, I've used the Black Rock East India IPA and New Zealand Company Bitter kit cans a few times and they've turned out some excellent beers for me. They use Nelson Sauvin hops and I've found that when I've used Nugget or Magnum for bittering, then Cascade, or Centennial for flavour/aroma they complemented the Nelson and the beer came out really good.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #13
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Thanks you've been so helpful any ideas on how to get a balanced tasting 6-8% out of it?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
Ogri
Recipes 

The recipe I posted, in the 4th post in this thread, was a 20 litre batch and had me hitting just under 6.5% after carbonation, I think.It was pretty good from 3 weeks after bottling but really came into its own a couple or three months after bottling.

I suppose you COULD make it with a lower volume of water or add more fermentables, then you'd need to hop accordingly, to get a higher ABV.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #15
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

I brew to 19 litres so that seems doable.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
Ogri
Recipes 

Maybe try-out some recipe calculators.

If you go to http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/bre...-formulas.html you can find the Qbrew recipe calculator free for download

This one is quite good for calculating recipes where you are using Cooper's, muntons, Mr. Beer and some other pre-hopped HME kits. have a read through his instructions/explanation on various points like entering details for calculating the hop value for those kits.

Also

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

The beer calculus one is good for seeing how well balanced your recipe is with regards hop to malt ratios. It doesn't seem to assign any hop value to pre-hopped kit (Cooper's, Munton's etc.) additions though.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

So i went and bought supplies, I went off Ogri's recipe

1 can Of Black Rock miners stout
8 pounds of Pale Malt extract
1 Pound of Dextrose
1 pound of nugget hops
1 pound of cascade hops
2 vanilla beans

this will be my most expensive brew to date!

A few more questions for those willing to help.

How hoppy will this beer be? i am not a fan of super hoppy american IPA's i prefer stouts and ales as i find them more balanced,

So should i use the two pounds? or maybe just 1?

When should i use the liquid Pale malt extract? In the boil or just throw it last before the yeast as it is fermentable?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #18
Ogri
Recipes 

Whoa!!!!!!!!!! Hold on a minute!!!!!!!! You wouldn't want to be using all of that list of ingredients in one 5 (US) gallon/19 litre brew

Try something like this

Your Black Rock, miner's stout kit can (1.70kg/3.75lbs)
+ 1.5 kg/3.3 lbs of liquid pale malt extract
+ 1 kg/2.2lbs dark brown sugar

21g / 3/4 Oz of Nugget at start of a 40 minute boil
14g / 1/2 Oz of Cascade at 10 minutes before flame out

This should be quite well balanced, as in not ridiculously hoppy and plenty malty.

Use about a couple of lbs of the liquid malt extract, mixed thoroughly with hot water whilst off the flame, you could also put the sugar in too, bring to a boil then make your (for example 40 minute) Bittering hop addition (3/4 Oz nugget @ 40 minutes), keep a slow rolling boil for 30 minutes then do your flavour/aroma hop addition (1/2 Oz Cascade @ 10 minutes). Boil for another 10 minutes then turn of the heat. Add the remainder of your liquid malt and the contents of your kit can. Cool, add to fermenter, aerate as vigorously as possible, top up to 19 litres total, pitch your yeast.

You'll probably be best making sure you have a decent yeast, and enough of it. Safale S-04 for example. The yeast that's under the lid of your Miner's stout kit can might not be in the best condition and there's only 5g, (or is it 7.5g? I'm not sure) of it so that would be far too little to ferment a batch of this size and volume of fermentables. My calculations sahow this coming out at somewhere near 6.8% ABV, an OG of 1.070 and an FG of 1.019. So even 1 sachet of S-04 might not be up to the task of carbonating the brew after fermentation, or being able to fully ferment this batch. Maybe someone else might be more knowledgeable and able to advise.

Here's another link that you might find valuable and insightful. I highly recommend you have, at least, a quick scan, better even a proper read, through that as it will be helpful for you.

Give us a shout if you need any other input.

Oh, and by the way, just so you know. The more fermentables you use and higher ABV you attain, the longer it'll take to condition and carb.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
Ogri
Recipes 

Here's what I get when entering that lot into beercalculus

http://hopville.com/recipe/1661785

Malt & Fermentables

%-- LB OZ------------------------------- °L PPG
40% 3 12 Black Rock Miners Stout Late Boil 83° 34

36% 3 4.91 Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup Late Boil 5° 36

24% 2 3.27 Brown Sugar, Dark Boil 50° 46

9lb 4.15Oz

Specific Gravity
1.070 OG
(1.062 to 1.073)
17.1° Plato
1.019 FG
(1.016 to 1.020)
4.8° Plato
Measured Values
Edit Gravities / Edit Color
Color
32° SRM
63° EBC
Black
Hops

Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 40 min 0.741 Nugget ~ pellet 13.0 » 42.6
boil 10 min 0.494 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 5.0

Bitterness
47.6 IBU
ƒ: Tinseth
0 HBU
BU:GU
Yeast

Safale S-04 Dry Yeast
yeast in dry form with high flocculation and 73% attenuation
Alcohol
6.8% ABV
5.0% ABW
Calories
per 12 oz.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #20
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Hmmm this is interesting,

I was using the recommendations of the home brew store guy. He recommended using 8 pounds of the liquid malt, and a pound of dextrose to obtain 8% ish, but i had forgotten to tell him about the dark brown sugar.

As for the yeast, this store would stock it except its 25 minutes of city driving that i hate to get there. Would it kill the beer to use a couple packs of the coopers yeast that i can grab from the grocery store?

Quick Reply