Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me build a quick Christmas Stout recipe from Coopers kits.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
CarnellSitka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Help me build a quick Christmas Stout recipe from Coopers kits.

I would really love to have a stout kegged for Xmas/Winter. I am really only comfortable with Liquid extract kits like those provided by Coopers.

Ideally i would love to brew something like this http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/russian-imperial-stout

but the conditioning time of 3 months sounds too long so what could i brew instead?

I wanted to do an imperial stout and add some vanilla in secondary for a fairly simple Imperial Vanilla Stout but would be pleased with even a stout around 6-7%

I am thinking of throwing together either two Coopers Stout kits, or even 2 black rock stout kits as i have access to those brands, However i wonder if it might be more interesting if i mixed maybe a stout and a dark ale.

At this point i am not sure what to do, should i mix dry malt extract and dextrose, use only dry malt extract? what kind how much?

i plan to add real vanilla beans to secondary what kind, how much?

I hope to keg in the first week of december, what would be a good way to carbonate.

Sorry if this is not the format or the right place for questions like this im still new to the forums.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

any body, any ideas?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
EO74
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Midwest has a good dry stout kit ???

Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Used the Cooper's Brewmaster dry Irish stout kit a while back. Combined with 1.5 kg of Cooper's dark LME, 750gr dark brown sugar and hopped with 1/2 Oz Nugget for a 40 minute bittering boil and a 1/2 Oz of Cascade for aroma and flavour in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Turned out pretty damn good.

Edited to correct LME/sugar weights.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Im in Canada so i'm not crazy about ordering a kit of the internet especially when i think i am little short of time.

We do have a really good home brew shop in Vancouver which offers Black rock kits, and i am also able to get coopers from the grocery, that why i wonder about those two.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Used the Cooper's Brewmaster dry Irish stout kit a while back. Combined with a 1kg of Cooper's dark LME, 500gr dark brown sugar and hopped with 1/2 Oz Nugget for a 40 minute bittering boil and a 1/2 Oz of Cascade for aroma and flavour in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Turned out pretty damn good.
I cant seem to find any coopers branded LME, is coopers dark LME just a branded version? Can i use any good quality LME?

When would i add the brown sugar?

Do you mind explaining the hopping a bit more thoroughly, as a newbie i finding it a bit hard to follow as i have never in the past with the kits boiled anything except the initial litres of water.

As for the Vanilla still recommend adding in the secondary, Do i really need to double up on kits to get a full bodied 6-8% stout?

thanks for the help

Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
EO74
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think any dark liquid malt extract would do.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Ogri
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnellSitka View Post
I cant seem to find any coopers branded LME, is coopers dark LME just a branded version? Can i use any good quality LME?
Yes, any decent LME or DME will do the trick. DME might actually be a bit better.

Quote:
When would i add the brown sugar?
Personally I just add the brown sugar at the beginning before I get to a boil.

Quote:
Do you mind explaining the hopping a bit more thoroughly, as a newbie i finding it a bit hard to follow as i have never in the past with the kits boiled anything except the initial litres of water.
I add sugar, recently also adding my DME, at the beginning then bring to a boil. Make first addition of hops (bittering addition) and start the clock. A 60 minute boil with your bittering hops and then you can make other additions as you see fit, depending on how you want the hop profile of your beer to turn out. I frequently do just a 15 or 10 minute flavour/aroma hop addition (meaning 15 or 10 minutes from the time you turn off the gas/electricity and stop the boil) and then maybe a dry hop for the last week of primary.

Quote:
As for the Vanilla still recommend adding in the secondary, Do i really need to double up on kits to get a full bodied 6-8% stout?
Never done a vanilla addition so not sure really but generally that kind of thing is done in secondary. Doubling up on the kits might get you 6 to 8% ABV and a rich, full bodied beer but might be a little out of balance somewhere. Too bitter, too rich, something just not quite right. That's why the instructions generally suggest using DME/LME/sugar to boost alcohol,body and flavour. Using two different kits may, or may not, have different hops clashing with each other, it's a bit of a gamble, although Cooper's is known to use pride of Ringwood hops but I'm not sure if this is across the whole range of kits or just specific ones.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Thanks for the awesome reply! My confusion with the hoping may lay in the fact that i generally heat the malt extract and throw it in my primary, then i mix with 4 litres of water i brought to boil. Then i add water/dex/dme til were at 19 litres. before pitching yeast.

Are you proposing, that i boil the lot and then cool it quickly?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Ogri
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the awesome reply! My confusion with the hoping may lay in the fact that i generally heat the malt extract and throw it in my primary, then i mix with 4 litres of water i brought to boil. Then i add water/dex/dme til were at 19 litres. before pitching yeast.

Are you proposing, that i boil the lot and then cool it quickly?
I do a partial boil. Start with about 10 litres of water and add DME, sugar and bring to a boil then make bittering hop addition and start 60 minute countdown. 15 or 10 minutes to go, make the flavour/aroma hop addition. I usually add my kit can at flame out. Cool brew kettle of wort down in a water bath. Put 4 litres of cooled water in fermenter, pour wort into fermenter and top up to 20 litres with more cold water. aerate, pitch yeast.

Basic and simplified but has turned out some pretty good beers for me.

Quick Reply