New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with a macadamia nut chocolate stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
jbug440
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Help with a macadamia nut chocolate stout?

My wife and I tried macadamia nut chocolate stout called gallows point. It's made by Skullcoast brewery in S.C. We thought it was fantastic and I would like to brew something similar. The macadamia and chocolate flavor and aroma really come through in this beer. If I brew a 6 gallon batch (A.G.) should I just use chocolate malt or maybe cocoa and how much? I've never brewed with nuts (u know what I mean) can I mash the macadamia nuts? Or add them to the boil? Should I chop them up in a little food processor?any thoughts on amounts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
pericles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Adding chocolate will SUBSTANTIALLY increase the bitterness of your beer. I'd vote for trying chocolate malt first. If you don't think it's enough chocolate character, add cocoa nibs.

As for the nuts. . . I would add extract at bottling, instead of using the nuts themselves.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply