Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > HELP! i think i just wasted a batch of beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
funkydrummer88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP! i think i just wasted a batch of beer

yo.
I got a hydrometer to see if my beer was done(i didn't have one at the beginning of the brew). I did this because the beer bubbled and had foam krausen, but then after about 36-48 hours things ceased. After that, I didn't see a bubble pop through if I stared at the airlock for 2 minutes. I was worried so i got a hyrdrometer. It's been 2 weeks, since I began fermentation, I tested the 60 degree fermenter in 70 degree water, and found that it was a bit under the 0 mark on my hydrometer. So I assume that is accurate. When I opened my batch, I found it to have krausen foam on the sides of the 5 gallon jug, which was expected, but there were tiny brown flakes floating on top of the beer, something I don't recall seeing in my first batch. I then inserted the hyrdrometer, and it is below the 0 mark by a long shot, actually the hyrdrometer was floating at the place where it goes skinny and where it starts to get wider at the bottom. What does this mean?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Rhys79
Recipes 

Did you give it a spin to knock off any bubbles? Other than that, no idea what's up with your hydrometer. Fermenting out in under 48hrs is not that uncommon though. My last batch fermented out in under 36hrs. Racked it to secondary after a week, waiting on it to clear at the moment.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

All signs point to the fact that you have made beer...and likely decent beer. Your hydrometer probably just got caught on a piece of floating yeast or trub. Did you taste it?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
funkydrummer88
Recipes 

Thing is I spun the hyrdrometer, and even picked it up and moved it. I also have no idea what the floating stuff was, maybe just krausen foam curdled up. My hydrometer is accurate, so why doesn't it show my "objective ending fermentation number" of 1.012?

Last edited by funkydrummer88; 04-13-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
sittingturbo
Recipes 

what is it currently at?

Upcoming: None

Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You'd probably have an easier time reading it if you take a sample of beer (with sanitized methods) and put the sample in a hydrometer jar made for such readings. They're $2-8, and are worth every cent. Here's an example: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4708

That way, you can see the hydrometer reading at eye level, rather than floating it in the entire bucket. Also, when you've got your gravity reading, you can drink the sample for a taste test!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere85
You'd probably have an easier time reading it if you take a sample of beer (with sanitized methods) and put the sample in a hydrometer jar made for such readings. They're $2-8, and are worth every cent. Here's an example: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4708

That way, you can see the hydrometer reading at eye level, rather than floating it in the entire bucket. Also, when you've got your gravity reading, you can drink the sample for a taste test!
Better recommendation i think is to get a thief:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4356

I love mine and couldn't think of any better way to sample, take readings, and taste test my beer!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Krauzen is just plain ugly/nasty looking...and completely normal...Sometimes it looks curdled, sometimes it has flakes of your Irish moss or little pieces of hops in it...And sometimes it stinks....

It just means you made beer!!!

In other words, Congrats and RDWHAHB!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like your beer is probably just fine. Leave it in the fermenter for a while so the yeast can clean up the nasties a little bit, then secondary or bottle it. Relax, everything will be wonderful.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
funkydrummer88
Recipes 

That still doesn't help me with my hydrometer reading. It was floating literally as low as it could be floating. There wasn't an inaccuracy due to not being at eye level, it was just as low as it could go.

Quick Reply