Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with Holiday Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Jaha35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey1 View Post
4% that blows..It was suppose to be 7 to 8%...oh well

Thanks for all the info fellas...ill keep you posted!
Well maybe it will turn out to be a sweet and rich Bitter. Low alcohol isn't bad. It just makes it a drinking beer.

Primary 1: empty <=== How sad...
Primary 2: empty
Secondary: Otter's Altbier
Bottle Conditioning: Dovey's Broody Bitter Ale
Drinking: Monty's Irish Red Ale (MY FIRST HOME BREW!!!), Jaha's Root Beer
On Deck: Fuller's London Pride Clone, Newcastle Clone

Happy Holidays to all at HBT!!! Thanks for all the help. I have learned more from the great people on this forum than in any book or instruction manual!

"Life's too short to drink Domestic."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #12
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bottled after five days...yikes! You definitely could be in for some bottle bombs if that yeast decides to finish properly. I hope it turns out okay, but I would definitely put those bottles in a rubbermaid tub or in the tub/shower of that unused bathroom just in case.

The whole reason to use the hydrometer is to find out if it's finished fermenting...and when your reading was significantly higher than expected you should have waited. I don't bottle anything sooner than 3 weeks from pitching yeast. Those kits are not very realistic when it comes to time lines. Even if it were completely done after 5 days it will probably taste very green until it sits in bottles for a month or two.

You're certainly not alone - most of us rushed our first batch or two. I bottled my first batch after a week and it was not very good at all. I can tell you with absolute certainty that most beer tastes many times better if allowed to ferment for 3-4 weeks before bottling (including secondary if used) and then left for 3 weeks in the bottle before drinking. Heavier 7-8% beers usually take even longer to mellow out.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
shertz
Recipes 

Like the others have said, your beer is going to be quite sweet, although that may not be a bad thing with a Holiday Ale. I also have never bottled/kegged a beer that wasn't in the carboy for at least 2 weeks. I would think that you may have some gushers when you do open them so be careful. The most important thing here.....lesson learned so next time you don't make these mistakes. Cheers!

Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
morrissey1
Recipes 

Default First try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertz View Post
Like the others have said, your beer is going to be quite sweet, although that may not be a bad thing with a Holiday Ale. I also have never bottled/kegged a beer that wasn't in the carboy for at least 2 weeks. I would think that you may have some gushers when you do open them so be careful. The most important thing here.....lesson learned so next time you don't make these mistakes. Cheers!
Well my patience is obviously very thin so I popped one today. I was expecting a very sweet, big bodied brew..To my suprise it was not too bad if anything it was a little dry..poured great, nice head retention and was pretty drinkable. If its only going to improve with time.. ill call it a success. Ive learned from my mistakes and im moving on to an Octoberfest...This one, I will allow to ferment to the right FG and I think a secondary fermentation will be in line as I want this beer to be very clear and clean....Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
NZGirl
Recipes 

Don't you hate those time frames given in kits?

My Coopers kits all say 4-7 days in the primary and two weeks in the bottle. That's all! Very misleading!

Luckily I joined this forum before messing with the primaries so I will wait until at least two weeks before bottling and then leave them in the bottles to condition.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are game empty the beer in a fermenter to finish the ferment. Do not wait. Do not even consider it will improve itself. Wear protective clothing and safety glasses. I am serious about this.

I had one bottle explode luckily in a shed. Must have double primed. The glass dented the metal of the shed in places. the beer went everywhere. I donned heavy clothing leather gloves and safety glasses and tipped the lot in the fermenter. It finally turned out ok. I should have called in our case the fire brigade but I was younger and I guess stupid.

If a bottle does explode call the bomb squad to handle them they have the necessary protective clothing. Please do not touch them without taking due care. A brew is not worth injury.

Remember safety first

Quick Reply