Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > HELP! forgot to add bitter orange peel to Begian white

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
earlytimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default HELP! forgot to add bitter orange peel to Begian white

I can't believe I did this. It was an otherwise flawless brewing experience tonight - hit my targeted gravity on the dot for the first time - until I got to cleaning up and noticed that my bitter orange peel got hidden under some papers and I forgot to add it. Everything is in the fermenter now. I'm thinking of boiling about 2 cups of water and adding that to it for about 15 minutes, then adding it to the fermenter. will this work?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Yeah, you can do that. Just make sure you cool it down before adding it to the fermenter.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
earlytimes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, budz. That's what I love about this place - quick help when you need it most!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, I have read dozens of "forgot to" threads. You are going to probably get a 50/50 ratio on your responses. All of those threads that I have read, to the best of my recollection, ended up with the OP doing exactly what was in his "should I..." question. You'll end up with a good beer if you don't. If you do add it you will probably end up with a good beer and at the very least a good learning experience.

Good Luck!!!

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
earlytimes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devaspawn View Post
Man, I have read dozens of "forgot to" threads. You are going to probably get a 50/50 ratio on your responses. All of those threads that I have read, to the best of my recollection, ended up with the OP doing exactly what was in his "should I..." question. You'll end up with a good beer if you don't. If you do add it you will probably end up with a good beer and at the very least a good learning experience.

Good Luck!!!

I know what you're saying - I've read a bunch of them too, and each time I think, "how could you possibly forget to add that?" Well, now I know.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlytimes View Post
I can't believe I did this. It was an otherwise flawless brewing experience tonight - hit my targeted gravity on the dot for the first time - until I got to cleaning up and noticed that my bitter orange peel got hidden under some papers and I forgot to add it. Everything is in the fermenter now. I'm thinking of boiling about 2 cups of water and adding that to it for about 15 minutes, then adding it to the fermenter. will this work?!
You can get the same effect in the secondary, after your fermentation has completed. When racking to secondary, boil the orange peel in some water and let it cool a bit, then rack the beer into the secondary on top of it.

I made a belgian pale last winter and had the exact same experience - forgot to add my coriander and orange peel during the boil. Followed the above and the beer turned out great.

Quick Reply