Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with first brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
crj5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with first brew.

This is an Aussie Light Ale Kit from Midwest and my first brew. I followed the directions except I added a pound of honey and irish moss during the last 15 mins of the boil. I put in a plastic primary and it fermented for 10 days. I then racked into a 5-gallon carboy. It smelled great when I racked it. Original SG was around 1.045 and the SG when I racked was 1.006. During the boil the Nylon bag that I had the hops in broke and 90% of the hops went into the wort, therefore they went into the fermenter.

I have two questions. It has been two days since I racked and the color looks alot darker than the golden color the Aussie light ale is supposed to be. Will it lighten up within the week?

If you look at the third picture, I used a light so you can see the particles that are floating in the beer. They look like bite size pieces of a really thick yest cake. They also look disgusting like throw up... There are a lot more than the picture shows. I don't know if it is the co2 or if they are less dense than beer, but they float up to the top then drop down and the float back up to the top. Will they ever settle to the bottom? Should I be worried? They were in the fermenter when I racked and they went right into the secondary through the siphon. There was a large amount of sediment that I racked off of. I have a picture of that two, if anyone needs to see it.

The first pic is right after I racked, and the second pic is 2 days after racking, the third is with a light 2 days after racking. Thanks for any help in advance!

after-racking.jpg   two-days-later.jpg   light.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Once in the glass it will lighten. Alot.

As fas as the sediment, let it sit in the secondary, and it "should" settle out assuming its parts of the krausen.

ITs not milky white is it?

They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
crj5000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a whitish color. I would call it Tan.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let it sit another week or 2. Keep it out of the light. The hop material will eventually settle out to the bottom of the fermentor. As someone else mentioned, it will be significantly lighter in the glass than it is in the carboy. Just be careful when you move it to rack it into you bottling bucket so you don't stir up what has settled out. Congrats on your first brew!

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
barleyhole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm curious about the floaties in the third picture. I made mead a year ago and remember at one stage of fermentation it had something similar...but more. They did settle out over a short period, however - not sure if it was yeast flocculation or what (that's my guess). I was freaked out by them anyway, they looked like little mushrooms, and I had never made mead before. Maybe something to do with using honey?

Let your beer sit a week or two. It should clear up and lighten in color as it does. If you can cold crash it, do that as well.

Make it so!

Primary: S'more
Secondary: Doppelbock, DIPA
Barrel Aging: Flanders Red
Bottled: Ginger Mead, Scottish 80-/
Kegged: Belgian Golden Strong

Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
crj5000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help. It seems time will solve this problem. I have a small fridge I let a friend borrow that I am getting back soon. Hopefully the carboy will fit.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
edb23
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would let it sit another two weeks and then cold crash for a week, pretty much like everyone said. time is a good thing.

it is the drink of men who think
and feel no fear nor fetter
who do not drink to senseless sink
but drink to think the better

Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
crj5000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this is a newb question, but the cold crash only stops the yeast from being active while allowing large particles to settle. The yeast will still carbonate the beer after I bring them back up to room temp and bottle, right? I will be using the Tap a Draft setup, for first bottling experience.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
edb23
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah the yeast will be totally fine for carbonation

it is the drink of men who think
and feel no fear nor fetter
who do not drink to senseless sink
but drink to think the better

Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
crj5000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its been two weeks in the glass and not much has changed. Its still fairly dark for a light beer. Is that because the pellet hops boiled into the wert and/or the honey I added? Also the "floaties" are still there as you can see in the pics. There are a few co2 bubbles in the pick, but 90% of what you see are solid clumps of mass, creamish in color. Wish I had a better camera.

I got my fridge back, but it won't turn on. So it looks like I will not be able to cold crash. Should I just bottle? Should I try it to see what it tastes like before I bottle? How cold does it have to be to cold crash? Maybe I can talk my wife in letting me use our fridge for a week?

img_0243.jpg   img_0258.jpg   img_0269.jpg  

Quick Reply