Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help Even A Blowoff tube can't contain it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
cpz28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help Even A Blowoff tube can't contain it

I saw how violently my IIPA was fermenting (8 LBS of DME/ 1.5 LBS steeping grains and 1968 Yyeast London ESB) I decided to switch the airlock out for a blow off tube and even though this 5 gallon batch is in a 6.5 gallon bucket the foam is still popping off the stopper and the blow off tube. What should I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are you using for a blow off? Carboy or bucket? I'm just slightly confused when you say stopper, as there shouldn't be anything but the tube.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah, a small diameter tube (ie racking tube) isn't much better than an airlock. You need one of those monster tubes like in Kilted Brewer's pic. Till then just keep cleaning out the tube so it doesn't clog up too much and keep resanitizing that and stopper each time you pick it up off the floor. Oh, and before you ask, your beer will be fine BTW that's an awesome pic!!

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
BTW that's an awesome pic!!
I'm actually enjoying that one right now. That's the Carmel Cream Ale. It's a nice late evening drink!

And yeah, your beer will be fine. Just keep cleaning what you've got. In a few days the "violence" will be over and you can go back to the airlock.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
cpz28
Recipes 

My frementer bucket lid is drilled larger than the tip of an airlock, so you stick the airlock in a rubber stopper thing (same thing you would use to affix a regular 3 piece airlock to a carboy). I have the rubber stopper thing in the hole with the main piece of the airlock in the rubber stopper, but rather than the cap and cup for the air lock base I attached a hose over the opening where the little cup in the airlock usually sits. Hope this helps explain.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpz28
My frementer bucket lid is drilled larger than the tip of an airlock, so you stick the airlock in a rubber stopper thing (same thing you would use to affix a regular 3 piece airlock to a carboy). I have the rubber stopper thing in the hole with the main piece of the airlock in the rubber stopper, but rather than the cap and cup for the air lock base I attached a hose over the opening where the little cup in the airlock usually sits. Hope this helps explain.
Makes perfect sense now.
RDWHAHB

Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you're attaching the blowoff tube to the airlock body, you're much better off snapping off the little x-shaped "guard" at the inlet of the airlock - it introduces a lot of restriction that can clog up, which is exactly what you DON'T want with a blowoff. But, I'd say that since you have a small stopper in there, that's probably your biggest problem - keeping that thing from popping out. When I use a blowoff on a bucket with just a regular airlock grommet, the lid sometimes bulges when the small tube clogs up a bit, but then it blows its way through.

Have you tried just skipping the airlock body and jamming the tube in your stopper instead? Generally, a 5/16"IDx7/16"OD siphon tube will fit wherever an airlock will.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
Have you tried just skipping the airlock body and jamming the tube in your stopper instead? Generally, a 5/16"IDx7/16"OD siphon tube will fit wherever an airlock will.
+1
Just stick your tube in the rubber grommet and skip the airlock all together. It is still possible to clog but much less likely and it makes much less mess than the airlock.
Craig

Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Neals
Recipes 

I just spent about 15 minutes trying what CBBaron suggested, but I can't seem to jam my racking tube into the grommet. My airlock is bubbling like crazy (already cleaned it out twice tonight) and I'm afraid it's going to explode while I sleep.

Any ideas for a makeshift blow-off or other quick fix to fend off the wort bomb until I get a chance to go head to the homebrew store (probably not for a couple of days)?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4456 Times on 3244 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neals View Post
I just spent about 15 minutes trying what CBBaron suggested, but I can't seem to jam my racking tube into the grommet. My airlock is bubbling like crazy (already cleaned it out twice tonight) and I'm afraid it's going to explode while I sleep.

Any ideas for a makeshift blow-off or other quick fix to fend off the wort bomb until I get a chance to go head to the homebrew store (probably not for a couple of days)?

Thanks!
Take the grommet out. You'll have enough room for the tubing then.

If it still doesn't work, pull the lid off and set it gently on top so the co2 can escape without blowing off the top.

Check the temperature on the fermenter- usually in the summer, a big blow off can be a sign that's it getting way too hot inside there! Put it in a tub with some water and a couple of frozen water bottles to cool it off. Or put a wet t-shirt over it so some water can wick up it and have some evaporative cooler. do you have a thermometer stuck on the side?

Quick Reply