New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with an English Barleywine recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks everyone! I think I may have to hold off brewing this until I get an O2 system I suppose. Thanks again for all the tips.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
onipar
Recipes 

This may be a dumb question, but would I still need an o2 system to brew an imperial stout with an OG of 1.086?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar
This may be a dumb question, but would I still need an o2 system to brew an imperial stout with an OG of 1.086?
Need, no. Would it help, absolutely!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Need, no. Would it help, absolutely!
Thanks, man! Yeah, I think I'll brew a couple more low gravity brews until I have extra cash on hand for an 02 system. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
Demus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Thanks, man! Yeah, I think I'll brew a couple more low gravity brews until I have extra cash on hand for an 02 system. Thanks.
No sweat. You'll love it. It's a convenience for lower gravity brews but becomes more important for the higher gravity stuff. I've been using 1 second of O2 per gravity point with great success (:50 for a 1.050 brew, 1:20 for 1.080 etc). There's lots of posts about flow rates and absorbtion but without meters and oxygen test equipment it's all theoretical anyway. I just set it low enough so I don't get excessive foaming figuring it's more about the contact time than the flow rate anyway. My method has been yielding attenuation at the high end for all the different yeast strains I've used so I'm pretty sure I'm in the ballpark. I haven't had any of the fermentation related problems that you read about on here post after post since I started doing this. Fermenting in an extra fridge I bought on Craig's list helps out too!!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
GrogNerd

Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I brewed a barley wine with first runnings of a parti-gyle.

TWO HOUR boil down to 1.090 & 2.5 gallons into the fermenter.

paint mixer attachment on a power drill and I whipped the living hell out of it

1 vial of WLP005 chowed it down to 1.020 after 20 days in primary and it tasted fantastic going into secondary. will bottle it at the end of this month

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I'm sure the o2 systems and aquarium pumps are lovely. However, just to opine on the opposite side, I just did an English barleywine that i manually aerated. OG was 1.085. FG was 1.017. Attenuation was 80%. This was 1098 British ale yeast at 64 degrees for 4 weeks. Mash temp 152.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
onipar
Recipes 

Thanks for the continued postings. Yeah, I was almost going to go for a barleywine anyway, and just do one with a slightly lower OG, but I decided to go easy for my first couple brews back from my hiatus. I ordered ingredients for a dry Irish stout and a Scottish ale.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Demus
Recipes 

It's interesting what happens whenever something like oxygen, yeast starters or proper temperature control comes up. There's always someone who comes on saying something like "well I didn't do it that way and my beer turned out great". I am not saying it's impossible to make a good barley wine without oxygen injection. I am saying this:
-the recommended concentration is 8 to 12 ppm dissolved oxygen.
-8 ppm is the absolute max possible with air, and is difficult to achieve.
-shake and splash results in just 2.7 ppm after 5 full minutes of hard work.
It's obviously possible for a beer to reach a reasonable terminal gravity without oxygen injection, but every yeast and even every ferment with the same yeast is unique. Proper aeration is easy with oxygen, reduces your chances of attenuation problems, and starts your ferment off in the most healthy way for the yeast. Some yeast may perform fine under less than ideal conditions, but that doesn't make what I'm saying untrue. Under aerate your barley wine enough time and you'll eventually get a bad batch. I don't like playing that kind of "Russian roulette" with my precious brews and want to set myself up for the best chance for the best beer. Ignore accepted brewing facts to your peril...

Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
GrogNerd

Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
It's interesting what happens whenever something like oxygen, yeast starters or proper temperature control comes up. There's always someone who comes on saying something like "well I didn't do it that way and my beer turned out great". I am not saying it's impossible to make a good barley wine without oxygen injection. I am saying this:
-the recommended concentration is 8 to 12 ppm dissolved oxygen.
-8 ppm is the absolute max possible with air, and is difficult to achieve.
-shake and splash results in just 2.7 ppm after 5 full minutes of hard work.
It's obviously possible for a beer to reach a reasonable terminal gravity without oxygen injection, but every yeast and even every ferment with the same yeast is unique. Proper aeration is easy with oxygen, reduces your chances of attenuation problems, and starts your ferment off in the most healthy way for the yeast. Some yeast may perform fine under less than ideal conditions, but that doesn't make what I'm saying untrue. Under aerate your barley wine enough time and you'll eventually get a bad batch. I don't like playing that kind of "Russian roulette" with my precious brews and want to set myself up for the best chance for the best beer. Ignore accepted brewing facts to your peril...
"accepted brewing facts" allows for very wide latitude

there's at least 2 posters here, myself included, that get good CONSISTENT results in direct contradiction to your "my way is the best way and your beer will suck if you don't" attitude

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Quick Reply