The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > help diagnosing a problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
woody34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default help diagnosing a problem.

I bottled a northern brewer extract kit 2 weeks ago, caribou slobber. I've had 2 so far and they were perfect. Carbed good tasted good looked good. The 3rd bottle I poured looked like fresh apple cider. It was cloudy and had zero carbonation. Didn't taste bad and didn't have any foul odor. Is it possible the bottle cap wasnt sealed or something? Also, My helper on bottling day tipped a full bottle, spilling half. I simply refilled it and kept going. Is it possible that spilled bottle got shaken up and oxidized? I'm still rather new to brewing and this is my first bottle so far that had a problem. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Try another bottle? I'm going to go with bad bottle cap seal. But if they are all like that, who knows??? My Caribou Slobber got better with age, at about 6 weeks in the bottle the flavor was great. I bottled on 5-4-12. Just popped one now, sip, good!

Old 07-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If your priming sugar was mixed at all, it sounds like that particular bottle just didn't get sealed.

How did you add your priming sugar?

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
woody34
Recipes 

I primed same way as other batches that were fine. Measured table sugar per the recipe. Boiled it and the dumped half in bottling bucket. Started racking and added other half of sugar. I think that all went fine. 2 of 3 were perfect. I have another 1 in fridge now. Ill drink it tomorrow. If that one is ok I'll assume it was just a bad seal on one bottle.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody34 View Post
I primed same way as other batches that were fine. Measured table sugar per the recipe. Boiled it and the dumped half in bottling bucket. Started racking and added other half of sugar. I think that all went fine. 2 of 3 were perfect. I have another 1 in fridge now. Ill drink it tomorrow. If that one is ok I'll assume it was just a bad seal on one bottle.
Your process sounds fine to me. It was probably just the one bad one. Enjoy the rest of them!

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Agreed probably just a bad seal on that one bottle. On another note, if you haven't found this through your research or been told by any brewer friends, screw top bottles are not ok to bottle homebrew in. Only because it is much harder to get a good seal on those types of bottles.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Don't worry, I had a batch of stout, about 4 of them did not carb up. It is not a perfect system.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
woody34
Recipes 

Thanks fellas. They were not twist off caps. My first few 5 gallon batches came out fine so I'm pretty confident in my process. I'll know a lot more when I crack another bottle tomorrow. I was more surprised at the cloudiness than the lack of carb. Oh well. Time will tell.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody34 View Post
Thanks fellas. They were not twist off caps. My first few 5 gallon batches came out fine so I'm pretty confident in my process. I'll know a lot more when I crack another bottle tomorrow. I was more surprised at the cloudiness than the lack of carb. Oh well. Time will tell.
It sounds like that one bottle has an infection, probably lactobacillus. If might just be one bottle that wasn't properly sanitized, so I wouldn't worry unless more than one has the same issue.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It sounds like that one bottle has an infection, probably lactobacillus. If might just be one bottle that wasn't properly sanitized, so I wouldn't worry unless more than one has the same issue.
How would the lacto infection fit the failure to carb up? I'm going with a capping failure on this one.

Quick Reply