Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with DFH India Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
jmancuso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with DFH India Brown Ale

Hello all,
A few weeks back i brewed the IBA recipe from the extreme brewing book.
The OG listed in the book was 1.070. I started with a 6 gallon boil and ended up with about 4.75 gallons and never topped it off with more water. My OG was 1.077. I left it in the primary for 2 weeks and took a reading while transferring it to the secondary and it was still at 1.022. After about 2 weeks in the secondary it is still at 1.022, and now its down below 4.5 gallons after leaving the sediment behind and the taking of samples. I have another pack of the ringwood ale yeast that i plan on repitching with, but would like some input before i do. I was also thinking of adding more water to bring it closer to the 5 gallon mark and maybe adding a little extra brown sugar as the recipe called for 8oz at the end of the boil. Any info helps.

Thanks, James

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
RogueVassar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why are you repitching? 1.022 seems reasonable without knowing what FG you are trying to get.

Member of the Milltown Mashers

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Repitching isn't going to lower your gravity. Adding sugar will add a bit more alcohol, but the un-fermentable sugars in there are still not going to ferment, and you will end up with a lower apparent FG, but it will still be sweet. 1.022 isn't really that high for an extract high gravity brew.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
jmancuso
Recipes 

sorry forgot to mention FG was sopposed to be 1.015.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am assuming its an extract brew, so correct me if that assumption is incorrect. I have never had good attenuation with an extract brew, so that is pretty much in line with my experiences. I have made a couple high gravity extract brews and never seem to get below 1.020, even with high attenuation (Nottingham, US-05) yeast. Having never used Ringwood, I can not comment, but I have read that it is tempermental.

What temps did you pitch/ferment/now? Maybe try warming it up?

Old 02-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
jmancuso
Recipes 

Yes, it is an extract with steeping grains recipe. I pitched at 70, fermented at 68-72 and is currently at 70. Am I correct in assuming that even if I made it warmer I have transferred it to secondary so I have already lost most of the yeast that had settled?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure this has anything to do with being an extract brew or not. I have never had problems with attenuation and extract.

Ringwood ale has an attenuation range of 68-72%. You are currently at 71%, going from 1.077 to 1.022.

I was reading this recipe today, when I saw this thread. The book has 1.070 to 1.015, an attenuation rate of 77.6%... above the range of the yeast. I'm not sure what they are doing to get that type of attenuation...

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you use a starter? My first two batches, before using a starter, finished high at ~1.020. The two batches since then, with a starter, have finished where Beersmith predicted (one was even a point lower).

However, it sounds like you got the attenuation the yeast could handle according to the above post.

Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
jmancuso
Recipes 

I did not make a starter. I'm not sure how, if someone would give me some info how I would appreciate it. Also if I repitched with the same yeast would it continue to ferment and get the same 71% attenuation

Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You have already got the 71% attenuation. Pitching the same yeast will not really do anything unless the yeast is stalled instead of finished. People seem to think your yeast is finished. To be sure, rouse it up a bit and raise the temp to the upper level of the yeast's range and see if you can get it to drop a few more points.

Quick Reply