Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help on designing a recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Kobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Help on designing a recipe?

I have now completed two 5 gallon brews. I got both recipes from the brewing store I frequent. Now it's time to try my own beer. Or we'll, put together my own recipe. Any suggestions on how to put a recipe together?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobrew
I have now completed two 5 gallon brews. I got both recipes from the brewing store I frequent. Now it's time to try my own beer. Or we'll, put together my own recipe. Any suggestions on how to put a recipe together?
First visit the recipe wiki, here you can peruse different recipes in different styles. Make notes of typical ingredients and hops, etc as well as yeast statins. Obviously look at styles you enjoy.

Read "Designing Great Recipes" by Ray Daniels and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Z.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

as a suggestion, i'd say you should get a little more experience brewing before putting together a recipe. i've read other people's experiences, as well as mine, and our first 1's can be nasty when we jump the gun. mine was kind of an amber pale ale weizen, i think... i pawned off as much of that "beer" to people i didn't like as i could

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

You're probably getting ahead of yourself; I think you would be better suited learning more about the individual ingredients and how they taste individually and in combination before you try throwing recipes together.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Toadsticker
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

+1 ^ Get used to brewing first. Learn. Ask questions of others. Read. Do a few, or several, kits. From personal experience, be patient. And, don't give up. Bad batches happen.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Kobrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks all! As you all said, ill work in a couple more brews before I move on to my own recipe. And ill definitely read up in designing recipes and what not before!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pick a style you want to make and look up recipes of that style. Then do a lot of reading about which grains do what and which hops give which types of flavors. If you have a good understanding of hops and grains you can make a good recipe. Of course unless you are really good you will still probably make a stinker or two.

Quick Reply