Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with chocolate milk stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
littlezracer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with chocolate milk stout

I am getting ready to bottle my second beer. Its a chocolate milk stout from NB. was wondering how much priming sugar I should use? This is a 5 gallon batch. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
DirtyDirty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://tastybrew.mobify.me/calculators/priming.html

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

About 3.5 ounces of corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch will be about "correct for the style" in a stout. This results in a fairly low carbonation level. I actually prefer slightly higher than "normal" carbonation in my stouts. If I was brewing it I would probably use about 4 to 4.5 ounces of corn sugar for priming. Or you can use the calculator and figure out the carbonation level that you prefer for your brew.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I usually go with around 4 for this style.....Use a calculator though. Carb depends on temperature you fermented at as well so it is not quite cut and dry

Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
I usually go with around 4 for this style.....Use a calculator though. Carb depends on temperature you fermented at as well so it is not quite cut and dry
This.

I brewed this beer over the winter as an AG BIAB. Added Lindt 100% cacao to the boil at 15mins and 2tbs madigascar vanilla at 0. The keg kicked last week to the dismay of all. This particular beer, as the AG I brewed needed a bit more carbonation than style dictated. I keg, so I could make that adjustment as it conditioned in the keg. Think a little high for style on this one.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I find the suggested "to style" carb levels are really only good on tap. If you're bottling your beer, you don't want to go below 2 volumes, and I prefer the "standard" of 2.5 even on typically low carb beers (when bottled).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I find the suggested "to style" carb levels are really only good on tap. If you're bottling your beer, you don't want to go below 2 volumes, and I prefer the "standard" of 2.5 even on typically low carb beers (when bottled).
I guess I should have clarified this... Thanks for making my point. I do not keg, I still only bottle. I guess that is why I prefer slightly higher than "normal" carb in my stouts. I can see where kegged beer would probably be better with the "correct" carb level.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

4 oz of priming sugar, not 4 volumes....sorry I should have clarified.

Quick Reply