Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with a Brewing kettle question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Chipped enamel pots will rust, and you don't want that in your beer
Right. Under the enamel, it's NOT stainless and there are rust spots there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #12
automatauntaun
Recipes 

Likes Given: 26

So FYI, I bought that exact turkey fryer after I posted this under the advice of the local brew shop.
Don't buy it! That little box on the regulator hose is a ideot box.
Every 15 minuets it shuts off unless you press that button.
I'm returning it. From what I have found, it's better to just spring for any banjo burner ( a blickmen)
And a stainless steel pot. But if you are unsure if it's something you want to do. Yeah sure. Also after you get
A burner and stainless steel burner, you can fry turkey in that as well.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatauntaun View Post
So FYI, I bought that exact turkey fryer after I posted this under the advice of the local brew shop.
Don't buy it! That little box on the regulator hose is a ideot box.
Every 15 minuets it shuts off unless you press that button.
I'm returning it. From what I have found, it's better to just spring for any banjo burner ( a blickmen)
And a stainless steel pot. But if you are unsure if it's something you want to do. Yeah sure. Also after you get
A burner and stainless steel burner, you can fry turkey in that as well.
Holding that button down is as simple as putting a zip tie on it. Some take them apart and solder a wire around them.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
automatauntaun
Recipes 

Yeah I know. Just...pisses me off. I looked up a work around for the timer( disabling it)
I'm sure it's fine for a lot of people but, I just think its stupid that if I buy a banjo burner and pot separately no timer.
But som jack hat made it a law that if you buy it for frying turkeys it needs a timer. That's all.
But yes for others it still works just as good. I just want a blickmen and a stainless steel kettle.
:]

Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Another thing, is the regulator on that fryer is only 5 psi. Pretty small. You'll probably be sitting there waiting a fair bit of time for it to fire up a full boil over 6 gallons. Need atleast 10psi regulator to give you some more BTU's.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
automatauntaun
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Another thing, is the regulator on that fryer is only 5 psi. Pretty small. You'll probably be sitting there waiting a fair bit of time for it to fire up a full boil over 6 gallons. Need atleast 10psi regulator to give you some more BTU's.

You hit the nail on the head. For me it's no good.
I didn't want to disused any other new people. But yes, that was an issue as well.
Already returned.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Knowing regulator pressure tells you little about BTUs. (thought you are correct in that this burner is low on the btu scale).You can run 10psi of gas through a tiny orifice and it will produce less btus than .5psi of gas through a large orifice.

I see 30psi 160,000 burners and the fact is that you just don't need them and they make a lot of noise and they are probably less efficient. Actually the blichmann site shows some testing data that they did.

When I install propane At my house I will be running my burner set up at 11" wc which is way less than 1 psi. In all cases this will require a different orifice and in many a different burner. But to sit here and direct someone to higher pressure for more btus is confusing and misleading.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
Knowing regulator pressure tells you little about BTUs. (thought you are correct in that this burner is low on the btu scale).You can run 10psi of gas through a tiny orifice and it will produce less btus than .5psi of gas through a large orifice.

I see 30psi 160,000 burners and the fact is that you just don't need them and they make a lot of noise and they are probably less efficient. Actually the blichmann site shows some testing data that they did.

When I install propane At my house I will be running my burner set up at 11" wc which is way less than 1 psi. In all cases this will require a different orifice and in many a different burner. But to sit here and direct someone to higher pressure for more btus is confusing and misleading.
You are right about psi, and orifice, however, being honest, most of the burners out there roughly have the same burner configuration, save for jet burners. Most of the problem with people just grabbing "turkey fryer" kits, is that the regulators are generally a lower pressure, and they just don't put out enough for a full boil in some peoples cases. I'm certainly not directing people to buy anything. I HAVE that very same turkey fryer kit, for just frying a turkey. It's not an ideal set up at all for brewing, in my opinion. If someone can make it work for their needs, then by all means. Efficiency and time mean a different thing to other people.

That said, I still use one from time to time, but not that model for brewing. I have a larger SP-10 currently for full boil AG, but while nothing wrong with the smaller kits, they aren't as efficient.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #19
automatauntaun
Recipes 

I appreciate the concern ANC input and in all honesty. That's good info but he is right about it not being good for brewing. I made a batch of beer with this and it bearly kept a boil. controlling the flame was a mess, also the stand is painted black so the first couple a times you run it you have this burning paint issue and a nasty fume problem. Not to mention the timer. Also it is extreamly loud and having had propain tanks and buners in the past. It just seem like its chugging and burning very inefficently?
I'm sure it's great for turkey frying. But it's just not that great for beer and anyway, I personally hadmy hart set on a blickmen for the futur anyway;]
But I again do appriceated all the input and thanks to bob of you for the education.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #20
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hurricane low pressure burners are one of my favorites. 70000 btu and they get about 5.5 hours straight use of a propane tank. Not to mention they can be used off your houses natural gas with the purchase of a7 dollar part. I saw last night they even sell them in a stand now for those who don't want or can't afford to build a big rig.

Primary -
Conditioning - 5 gallons Oak Aged Sweet Tart Cherry melomel, 4 1 gallon variations of my Hops Mead.
Bottled - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Hefe, Godzilla IPA
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Quick Reply