Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > HELP! BIAB melted, grain loose....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default HELP! BIAB melted, grain loose....

So I have a snow day today and decided to do my first BIAB session. I poured the grain into the bag with my kettle at 120. I began heating to 150F and i totally forgot to put my collander into the bottom of the kettle first. Needless to say the bag melted (it was a nylon bag) and the grain is now loose in the kettle.

I figure I have a couple of options:

1) Scrap the batch (Unlikely)

2) siphon off as much liquid into a bucket, then pour the rest of the contents into another bucket lined with another grain bag (I bought 2 just in case)

3) Attempt to pull wort out of the valve at the bottom of the kettle while stirring (I don't think this would work well)

I'm still mashing at the moment so i have about an hour to figure this out. i think the beer can be salvaged, but I'm expecting to loose some volume in the process.

thanks for the help!

Prepare for Ludicrous Speed! Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

Sounds like #2 is your best option - sort of.

What kinda siphon (otherwise you'll be posting in about an hour with "help! my siphon melted )

I'd use as big of a glass container as you can to move your contents from pot A to the lined bucket to strain....

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have an auto siphon. I was going to do the mash out at 170, but I'm not sure if I want to now. I have a lined bucket and I wash thinking of siphoning of the top, but at 170 I think I would have some issues. I think the best way to go would be to try and pour from the kettle into the bucket just by tipping it on the burner carefully. Once I'm down to a manageable weight I'll just pick the whole thing up and bump it in.

The only other issue I have is it's a full volume, no sparge BIAB I was attempting to I had about 7.5 gal to start. I have a couple other containers I can use.

Is there any harm in having some time between the mash and the boil? I thinking maybe only an hour or so at the most?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you have a stainless strainer, I'd try to start by scooping out grain with that and eventually try to siphon off somewhere else.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I do have a large strainer. I'll have to give that a shot as well. I don't expect to get everything out, but if I can get 95% I should be ok to move on to the boil.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok so I think I have a solution figured out. I'm going to pour the mash after making out at 170 into a fermenter bucket lined with my second bag. I'll pull the grain bag out and put it into another fermenter bucket and strain the rest of the wort. ill quickly scrub out the kettle to remove whatever plastic wide is in there then transfer the strained wort back into the kettle.

Wish me luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I thought about my procedure and found only one flaw, but I don't know how it'll play into everything. When pouring the mash into the bucket I will be introducing air. I know adding oxygen to hot wort is generally bad, but if it's before the boil with the oxidized wort be boiled off?

So far I'm boiling away so ill just see how this batch turns out. Is there a taste I would look for to determine oxidation?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker278 View Post
I thought about my procedure and found only one flaw, but I don't know how it'll play into everything. When pouring the mash into the bucket I will be introducing air. I know adding oxygen to hot wort is generally bad, but if it's before the boil with the oxidized wort be boiled off?

So far I'm boiling away so ill just see how this batch turns out. Is there a taste I would look for to determine oxidation?

Thanks!
You'll be fine.

Hot-side-aeration has pretty much been debunked.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I think you have this one salvaged.

For your next adventure in 'brew in a bag", heat your water first, all the way to the dough in temperature (probably about 160 to maybe 165) and turn off the heat. Put the bag in and stir the grain into the water, watching for dough balls. Stir really well to mix the water and grain and then take the temperature of the mash. If you did this right, you should be really close to the mash temperature. Stir it some more now and then put the lid on. In 10 minutes, check the temperature again. Add just a little heat to bring it back to the mash temperature. Stir it well, turn off the heat and put the lid back on. If you ground your grain or crushed it really fine, most of the conversion will be done already but you want to check it again in another 10 for temperature and stir some more. When your mash period is over, pull the bag out of the kettle and squeeze as much wort out of it as you can. Dispose of the grain, turn the heat back on to bring the wort to boil and add your hops.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
viking73
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Had this problem too. Here's the cheap solution!

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-Stainless-Steel-Vegetable-Steamer/dp/B00062B0K6

I can't remember offhand which of the "old" guard (as in lots of posts, not age) suggested this. Works really well!

Quick Reply