Help with a Belgian Wit
So I have a partial Belgian wit kit but I wanted to add fruit like raspberries or blueberries or something like that to the beer.
1. is this a good idea?
2. if so when should I add the fruit to the beer?
3. how much should I use for a 5g batch.
4. should I keep the coriander and orange zest or leave these out
5. whats the best way to sanitize the fruit (i have read a couple of things) and I think the fruit will be frozen if I can find it otherwise ill go fresh.
1. It's difficult to say. Belgians, in general, tend to have lots of interesting flavors. Adding fruit may be too much. I would not recommend it. Then again, I've had excellent Belgian apricot wits.
2. If you want the flavor to come through really well, then add it to secondary. I would suggest this method. You can add it during flame-out if you want a subtle hint of it to come through. Just don't boil it or you will release haze causing tannins.
3. I would only add a little. Maybe 15-20oz.
4. I would keep it.
5. There's lots of debate on the "correct" way to do this. Different methods will yield different results. I've always heated the puree to 160. And all my wheat beers have had more than enough flavor. Read this:
|All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.