Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help with batch sparge settings on beersmith.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
emgesp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with batch sparge settings on beersmith.

So, I have exactly the amount of dead space that is in my MLT and I clicked the sparge using equal size batches, but I don't know if the amount of mash and sparge water is correct.

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/21/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.02 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.17 %
0.75 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.38 %
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 47.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
5.00 gal Chicago, IL Water
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.15 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 67.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.95 lb
Sparge Water: 4.47 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.44 qt of water at 168.9 F 154.0 F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you are using 1.25 qts/lb of grain it looks correct (17.44 qts/4 qts = 4.36 gallons). If you are only doing one single sparge then the 4.47 (4.5)gallons seems correct, if you are going to double batch sparge, then in the mash details, you need to set your fill tun volume to 50%. Otherwise your numbers look accurate. Beersmith has done fine by me.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
emgesp1
Recipes 

I'm doing a single sparge. What should the fill tun % be at? I have it at 100%

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Default is 90% if I'm not mistaken, but if you plan on a single sparge I would leave it at 100%, if you play with that percentage, you will see how it effects the sparge volume, but IIRC, between 90% and 100% there won't be a difference since your total sparge water volume will be 4.47 gallons regardless.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
emgesp1
Recipes 

Off-topic, but I'd hate to start a new thread just for this one question.

Do you think 5% Rye in the total grain bill will be noticeable? I want some rye character in there, but just enough to taste.

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

I have yet to use Rye, but I have a recipe formualted with about 15% rye that I will be brewing soon, If you want a super subtle rye spice (barely noticeable) I think 5% would do that, if you want to be able to tell there is rye in there I would go 10% and upwards of 20% for a distinguishable rye character. Also, from my research Rye malt will give you more of a spicy rye character than flaked rye will, so it depends on exactly what your shooting for.

Try it with your 5%, and if it isn't enough bump it up next time. It is definitely better to have less than too much.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
emgesp1
Recipes 

Thanks that helps a lot.

I honestly don't mind a huge rye character, but I want to share this brew with many other people, so I don't want to go overboard on the rye.

Some people just can't stand rye, but I love it.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

New Belgium has a seasonal brew called Hoptober, its like a Rye APA, the spicy notes from the rye make the beer what it is, otherwise it would just be another APA. Good stuff.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ultimately you want to end up with the right amount in the brew kettle. I know my system boils over almost 1.5 gal/hr. I learned by trial and error. I do 6 gallon batches because I know I'll lose half a gallon by leaving the junk behind in the kettle, and half a gallon leaving trub behind in the carboy and I want to keg a full 5 gal.

So for a 6 gallon batch I need 7.5 gallons in the kettle. You'll end up somewhere between 7 and 7.5 depending on your evaporation rate. Make a note every time you brew the first few times of exactly how much is in the kettle pre and post boil. I poured one gallon jugs into the kettle and marked a pipe with a sharpie. This was my measuring stick so I could just drop it into the kettle and immediately know the amount of liquid in there.

Because the grain absorbs all of the liquid it can during the mash, it doesn't really absorb much if any of your sparge water. So you don't really need to calculate your sparge water before hand. Just decide on a water to grain ratio for the mash, say 1.25 in your case and once the mash is done drain that off. Your ultimate goal is to drain off your final volume plus your boiloff amount. In my case it's 6 gallons desired final volume, plus 1.5 gallons for boil off for a one hour boil. So I need 7.5 gallons before I begin my boil. So say I get 2.5 gallons from the initial run, I need 5 more gallons. Your sparge will be basically a 1:1 ratio in and out so for a 2.5 initial drain I will add 5 gallons of sparge water and I will be able to drain off all 5 gallons to hit my 7.5.

Once you get your process down you'll pretty much be able to do all the calculations on the fly which is nice. I just use a calc to determine my strike temp for the mash and I sparge at 180 degrees. Hope this helps!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
emgesp1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat View Post
Ultimately you want to end up with the right amount in the brew kettle. I know my system boils over almost 1.5 gal/hr. I learned by trial and error. I do 6 gallon batches because I know I'll lose half a gallon by leaving the junk behind in the kettle, and half a gallon leaving trub behind in the carboy and I want to keg a full 5 gal.

So for a 6 gallon batch I need 7.5 gallons in the kettle. You'll end up somewhere between 7 and 7.5 depending on your evaporation rate. Make a note every time you brew the first few times of exactly how much is in the kettle pre and post boil. I poured one gallon jugs into the kettle and marked a pipe with a sharpie. This was my measuring stick so I could just drop it into the kettle and immediately know the amount of liquid in there.

Because the grain absorbs all of the liquid it can during the mash, it doesn't really absorb much if any of your sparge water. So you don't really need to calculate your sparge water before hand. Just decide on a water to grain ratio for the mash, say 1.25 in your case and once the mash is done drain that off. Your ultimate goal is to drain off your final volume plus your boiloff amount. In my case it's 6 gallons desired final volume, plus 1.5 gallons for boil off for a one hour boil. So I need 7.5 gallons before I begin my boil. So say I get 2.5 gallons from the initial run, I need 5 more gallons. Your sparge will be basically a 1:1 ratio in and out so for a 2.5 initial drain I will add 5 gallons of sparge water and I will be able to drain off all 5 gallons to hit my 7.5.

Once you get your process down you'll pretty much be able to do all the calculations on the fly which is nice. I just use a calc to determine my strike temp for the mash and I sparge at 180 degrees. Hope this helps!
I thought both runnings need to be equal for best brewhouse efficiency?

Shouldn't the amount of your first runnings that is collected in your kettle be more like 3.75 gallons and then sparge with another 3.75 if your aiming for 7.5 gallons preboil?

Quick Reply