Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help for an Adventurous Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2128 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

There is nothing wrong with LME at all, if you can get it fresh. The DME lasts longer and I've had very good luck with it.

In any instance, you will want FRESH.

Nothing wrong with doing extract brews if that is all you want to do. I think the most important thing for you to think about at this point is temperature. Ales like to be about 65F for the first week or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Homer, is lower than 65* a problem? My sticky thermometer spent a week or so at 62-64*, but down to 58* this last couple days with a cooler air temp outside and in the house.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
Homer, is lower than 65* a problem? My sticky thermometer spent a week or so at 62-64*, but down to 58* this last couple days with a cooler air temp outside and in the house.
Too low and the yeast will start going dormant. If you can find a cheap aquarium heater, you might be able to set up a swamp cooler with a heater in it.

Or a heat pad, or you can buy a "Brew Belt" that wraps around your fermenter. There are lots of ways to heat up a fermenter a little bit.

You might look for a place in the house that is close to 65. If it's just a little lower that's ok since the yeast will warm themselves up a little bit as they do their work.

Wrapping the fermenter in a blanket will also help hold in the heat from the yeast and might be good enough to keep them warm when the rook is at 58. We're only talking a couple of degrees here.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys!

Birvine, thanks for the leg work! I've been to the Noble Grape (bought most of my gear there last time I was in Halifax or "The City" in rural NS vernacular), but I'm in a different Lawrencetown, NS. Confusion happens all the time, even the local news shows us on the map when they talk about house fires in the "other" Lawrencetown.

So I should be afraid of the canned liquid extracts at all costs? The canned extracts at the drug store add have BBD's on them, the cheap Doric I have on now was February 2013 if I remember correctly.

And now for the full disclosure, I'm mortally frightened of going to much beyond dumping the extract and sugar in a pot at this point. I have a hard time not finding really bizzare ways to screw up simple directions/processes. My wife says it's because I'm a man, but I'm not convinced. I was hoping I could work on making some decent beer and really getting the hang of it without adding too many steps.
I used to buy the Doric cans in the early 90's and I did not make great beer with them - mind you, I was new at it and just fumbling around, really.

Might I suggest finding a brewer in your area who can guide you a bit to get over the initial fear of going the next step?

B

Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
It might slow your yeast down but when the temp comes back up it will get going again.

B

Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
It might slow your yeast down but when the temp comes back up it will get going again.

B
Yes it will take longer and probably not hurt the beer at all. You could ferment up to around 70 (internal temp) without a problem too.

Again, the ideal temp is determined by the yeast strain and the beer style. I've fermented a Saison at around 90 F.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 196

24/12/11

Success! I think. Took a gravity reading just now, its a solid 1.011-.012 ish, down from about 1.041.

The sample tasted like half a Bud Light left out over night (please don't ask why I know this). I don't like Bud Light, that's just the feeling I get from it.

So at the end of the day it seems I've produced something more or less drinkable. Sometime this I plan on starting another batch from the same cheap Doric Kit, but using some Nottingham yeast I picked up + the brew enhancer and a pound of honey and finished with a dry hop of an ounce or 2 of Gouldings I think.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like your making beer. As for the supplies have you looked at "morebeer".com? they offer free shipping to the US and I believe parts of Canada. They ship UPS. You have to check the items that are listed for free shipping, and I would not suggest getting liquid yeast shipped overland it may freeze before it gets there, dry yeast is fine and they have a good selection. Cheers

Quick Reply