Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
catfishunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help!

I just bottled my third batch and its terrible. It has no clarity to it, just has a funky orange color. I hopped it 4 times during the boil and dry hopped it, yet it doesn't really has any hop character to it. It has this sour, yeasty smell to it and has sediment floating in it. I swear to god i just brewed natty light, but worse. When i dry hopped it it was clearer and had a more pleasant smell, now its just gross. Does anyone know what i did wrong? could it be the yeast? I have to let it ferment in my basement and i was thinking i may have mixed it up a little while walking it up the steps but it seems unlikely. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

What were initial and final gravity readings? What kind of beer was it? Yeast? Recipe? Methods, timing? Need lots more info to answer questions.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
catfishunter
Recipes 

I was attempting a german pilsner. I did a partial mash for the first time. I had 4 lbs of briess pale grains with 1/4 lbs of carafoam. I used 31/2 lb container of golden light malt extract.(liquid) I soaked the grains for 60 in hot water and then brought it to a boil. I added the extract and boiled for 60 mins. I added perle hops at 60, sazz at 15, hallertau at 10,5,and 2 minutes and dry hopped after five days. My og was low at about 1.041 so i added 3/4 of a pound of sugar to try to bring the gravity up a little. I did not take a reading afterwards though. My final gravity was 1.009. I let it in the fermenter for exactly two weeks. Like i said it just has this cheap crappy beer smell to it and its really cloudy. I used the irish moss but it didnt work.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
EmmaC
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've found that the best ways to get a really clear beer are to keep the wort at a vigorous boil all through the boil period and then cool it down as quickly as possible -- both of these things help the proteins (which cause haziness) to precipitate out. Irish moss at 15 also helps!

I'm not sure why you're not getting much hop character. Sounds to me like it was hopped sufficiently. Maybe old hops? My best guess on the sour yeasty smell, however, is contamination -- either the equipment didn't get fully sanitized or a bug took up residence in your brew before the yeast could get up to speed. Cooling the wort as quickly as possible and pitching sufficient yeast for your batch-size (or using a yeast starter) can help with the latter scenario.

Also, if you just dry-hopped it, let it sit for a few days before bottling/kegging. A week is the usual recommendation -- this gives enough time for the hops to do their thing and settle out before starting to give your beer weird vegetal flavors. (Or, if you let the extra hops sit for too long, maybe that's part of the problem?!)

Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
catfishunter
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response. The wierd thing is when i took the lid off to dry hop it the beer looked fine. It was fairly clear and smeled good. Today when i went to bottle it it just smelled bad and look strange. I think i just might dump it and start again.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Don't dump it yet. This might turn out to be a pretty good beer if you let it mature a bit. Give it 3 to 4 weeks in the bottles in a 70-74 degree area and then chill one (just one!) bottle for 2 to 4 days before you open it. Find this thread and give us a report then.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 21

what were you fermentation temp? what yeast did you use? 3 weeks for a pils is a very short time if you used a lager yeast

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I have had some of my beers, especially IPA's get cloudy from dry hop additions. Let em condition. They may turn out fine.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
TequilaMockingbird
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How clean were the bottles, what do you use to sterilise them. Were they rinsed thoroughly? I assume so, but just thought I'd ask.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

this part jumped out at me

Quote:
I had 4 lbs of briess pale grains with 1/4 lbs of carafoam.... I soaked the grains for 60 in hot water and then brought it to a boil.
what temperature was the hot water that you soaked the grains in?

what yeast did you use?

на здравје!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS